"Why not try it all?";the motto; University of Rochester- meliora& why rochester

Guest /  
Why Rochester? - The University of Rochester is one of two universities listed by The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching as arts-and-science focused, medium-sized, and highly residential, with comprehensive PhD programs, medical schools, and very high research activity. Both offer undergraduates an unusual degree of freedom in their curriculum. Which of these characteristics (or others) are leading you to apply to Rochester?

I am not indecisive; I am inquisitive. My problem isn't that I can't find something to do with life; it's that I can't narrow it down to one thing. While every other college tells me I'll "figure it out eventually," Rochester says, "Why not try it all?" Why not major in International Relations, Biochemistry, Archeology and Russian? Or maybe Film & Media Studies, Epidemiology and American Sign Language? Every college wants well-rounded students, but not every college makes well-rounded people. Rochester fosters a diverse community and encourages individuality through freedom in their curriculum. We are three-dimensional, and most of us want to learn more than just biology or just mathematics. And really, there's something kind of fantastic about that, isn't there?

Meliora: ''Ever better'' - The University's motto directs our focus toward continual improvement through learning, discovery, creativity, and enterprising collaborations among people with different points of view. Describe a ''Meliora'' experience from your life.

"Meliora" is the motto that pushed me to go to Germany as an exchange student. As a sophomore, I could see no better opportunity to grow than this. I wanted to learn the language and discover the culture, but I ended up doing so much more. That year of my life was so full of new experiences and challenges that it changed me completely as a person. It was, most definitely, the greatest learning experience of my life. My experiences with new people (people with very different morals, ideals and opinions) opened me to new ways of thinking and helped me understand the world as the complex and ever-changing place that it is. As I stepped into class on my first day of school in Germany, I could have never imagined the adventure it would be.

I kind of hate both of the responses, especially the second. I would be really grateful for any help with them, because I'm really stuck. Thank you so much!
achen187 5 / 10 1  
I am not indecisive; I am inquisitive. My problem isn't that I can't find something to do with life; I can't narrow it down to one thing.

you dont need the it's that

overall solid job on the statements...i hope you get in :)
OP Guest /  
Yeah, that makes sense. Hmm, thank you!
nayelojello 5 / 37 2  
I think that you should tell admisions how does the open cirriculum affect YOU! Because you pretty much described the benefits of the cirriculum

please help chack out mine.

Home / Undergraduate / "Why not try it all?";the motto; University of Rochester- meliora& why rochester