"Why tufts?", "Child of two cultures", "What?Where?When?" - Tufts Supplement

vladic007 9 / 22  
Good time of the day dear readers!
Here are my full Tufts supplement.
All of them are draft essays.
Which aspects of Tufts' curriculum or undergraduate experience prompt your application? In short: ''Why Tufts?'' (50-100 words)
Diversity, I think is what attracted me mostly towards Tufts. The more different people I will know, the more knowledge in different areas I will gain. In the same time Tufts will provide me with superb academic opportunities, especially in computer engineering. Tufts will be a place where I will have a possibility to research in both communication networks and computer architecture. I believe that 4 years at Tufts will not only expand my horizons, it will prepare me for the diverse world coming after it.

Here is a Quaker saying: ''Let your life speak.'' Describe the environment in which you were raised--your family, home, neighborhood or community--and how it influenced the person you are today. (200-250 words)

I was a child of two cultures since childhood. I was born in Ukraine, my mother's homeland, but our family had to move to Moldova, my father's homeland, because both of my parents' works were there. That period of time was quite hard for the entire Moldova. It was my country's first ever independency, the country did not only face economic difficulties, it started facing cultural problems. In this territory, which was a long time influenced by the USSR in all the cultural and social areas, still remained those people who believed in pure Romanian territory, those who believed in the reunification of Moldova with Romania.

From year to year these people were becoming more influential. For me such cultural views resulted in different types of difficulties. Not only I had to hide my Ukrainian cultural roots, I had to pretend that I support the cultural discrimination. I had to show that I am against the Russian and Ukrainian language, but in the same I spoke only on these languages at home. All these moments of my life made me understand that no one should ever discriminate other people; they have made value both of my cultures despite the conflicts between their people.

For some, it's politics or sports or reading. For others, it may be researching solar power fuel cells or arranging hip-hop mash-ups. What makes you tick? (200-250 words)

"What? Where? When?" is an intellectual game, which gathers all the smartest people in the country. For me this game is the source from which I can study everything I want. Starting from the history of ancient Egyptians and finishing with astronomical discoveries of Stephen Hawking. Having more knowledge always helps me to find a common topic with everyone. In some cases this results in an interchange of cultures or ideas and sometimes in intellectually developing debates. This is what usually happens before the game when everyone is gathered in the rooms, or during breaks. "What? Where? When?" raises the desire in me to gain more knowledge, this resulting in better studies at school. The game helps me practice my leadership qualities when I talk to the team, when I decide that the answer is either Napoleon or Julius Caesar. It makes me closer with my team mates when I try to keep them patient while waiting for the right answer. This game made me a member of a new family, a family of individuals that seek to test their knowledge in different fields and are passionate about the pursuit of knowledge itself.

Please be as critical as you can! Do the essays correctly answer the prompts??? If you have no time reviewing all them at the same time, you can review once at time. Any input will be highly appreciated.

By the way, if you need me reviewing your essays, post the link together with your response!
This is weak:
Diversity, I think, is ... ---Don't write like stop and go traffic.

communication networks and computer architecture---This is the really important stuff. If you want to talk about diversity, talk about how it affects these fields. And how can Tufts empower you specifically in these fields?

I believe that 4 years at Tufts will not only expand my horizons, but it will also prepare me for the diverse world coming after it.---This sentence does not mean anything. You can revise in a way that makes it so that the sentence expresses your intentions to the reader. Just like a politician running for office, you have to say what you are going to do.

The second essay is awesome. I want to just make a small change:
My mother was the one who made me realize that despite the fact that I am different, it doesn't mean that I do not have to respond those people with the same feelings.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "Why tufts?", "Child of two cultures", "What?Where?When?" - Tufts Supplement