Tufts - It's Not Easy Being Green! (Or Is It?) - Optional Essay

Ivy_Equestrian 13 / 55  
Kermit the frog once famously lamented that it's not easy being green. Do you agree?

In equestrianism, "greenness" does not represent the color, or a penchant for environmental awareness. It is a state of learning; the state in which the subject can be considered a blank slate, primed and ready for the first layers of education. It is this quality that I find most compelling in a horse, because it offers nothing but untapped potential.

So, is it easy being green? If you asked one of my project horses, Abigail, she'd probably offer you an emphatic "no!" and an indignant head-toss, for good measure. She's never liked learning much, always preferring to stand knee-high in lush grass or sleep next to her best friend Theodora. As gently as I try to persuade her, she is sure that nothing good can come of being educated. Abigail is Huck Finn in equine form; as she gallops away from me in the field, I can almost hear her complaining about being 'sivilized.'

"I can't stand it!" she seems to cry out to her placid friends, "I been there before!"

Dante would tell you that being green isn't that bad. After all, you're never asked to do anything very difficult, and you're always forgiven for your "green moments." Dante likes to use this as an excuse to occasionally cavort and gallop off as I cling to his back. When he stops, he feigns sheepishness.

"But mom," he explains, "it was just a learning moment. I just didn't know what you were asking!" To Dante, greenness is wonderful fun - in fact, he may stay green forever!

There have been a few sensible souls who have struck a fine balance in their approach to being green. I'm sure these individuals are mocked mercilessly by the wild-at-heart and the 'evergreens' in the field, but I appreciate them. One memorable mount was Black Racehorse #1, who listened carefully, gave his best effort, and then waited to see whether he'd done it right. I'm sure he was relatively ambiguous to the idea of being green, viewing it as a necessary step to bigger things. I can't be sure, because he wasn't quite as vocal in his opinions as Abigail and Dante. He ended up moving up the training scale quite quickly, and may even have a name by now.

The consensus? If greenness is a state of learning, then its ease is determined by the approach you take to it. An open mind and a hunger for knowledge make it very easy to be green!
Jeannie 10 / 214  
Brilliant! ClapClapClap! YAY! That was a blast to read and so clever! I wouldn't change a word of it! except...

I'm sure he was relatively ambiguous to the idea of being green, viewing it as a necessary step to bigger things.

Did you mean to say "ambivalent?"

Excellent, Matilda! Good luck!

Jeannie

Oops, I also wanted to point out that the comma before "for good measure" is unnecessary...punctuation goes before a quote - outside the quotation marks, or after the quote but inside the mark.

Billy said, "why do I always have to do it?" See?
OP Ivy_Equestrian 13 / 55  
Thank you! :) I had a near heart-attack when I noticed the ambivalent/ambiguous thing - I ALWAYS DO THAT!!! But I think it'll be okay (I've sent it already, eek!), because they can be used synonymously. I'm just going to tell myself that for peace of mind, haha!
Jeannie 10 / 214  
Ha! I hear ya, sister! I only noticed it because I do it all the time too - that and there vs their. I laughed out loud at your reaction because I am mortified by the slightest error! I just have to forgive myself (and hope they will too) and move on...it is a horse, after all, and horses are allowed to imagine ambiguity where they see fit. :)

Good luck! It really was excellent!

Blue skies!

Jeannie
Ha ha, I had to come check out this essay out because of the good review Jeannie gave.

This will be a big success whenever you use it, as long as the reader has some sense of appreciation for clever writing.

:-)
Sweaty123 - / 5  
Its not easy being green - essay ideas?

At my tutoring class, my tutor told me to do this essay. Can anyone give me ideas to write this?
Sweaty123 - / 5  
Oh my golly gosh! Someone please reply!
Well dear friend...you need to do some research for this topic. As for the essay structure, you better tell the reader what does it mean being green in the introduction. Also tell the importance of being so. Then tell very briefly the level of effort you got to make for it. Then elaborate on the points you mentioned in your body paras.

Going green may involve lots of dicipline of the people, more funds etc. Tell how difficult to arrange them in a short time.
Google on this topic and you'll find loads of points :)
Sweaty123 - / 5  
Thank you so much!

Home / Undergraduate / Tufts - It's Not Easy Being Green! (Or Is It?) - Optional Essay