why tufts - strong psychology department

mmmargarita 10 / 79  
Prompt: Which aspects of Tufts' curriculum or undergraduate experience prompt your application? In short: ''Why Tufts?'' (500 characters)

So, after browsing some samples from past/current students (admissions.tufts.edu/?pid=194&c=154)I decided to focus on only 1 specific aspects of Tufts that really appealed to me. After all, there's only so much a person can do with 500 characters...suggestions/comments/impressions appreciated.

"Psychology?!" My peers laugh - as if the subject that has enthralled me since the 7th grade merits no respect. My home for the next four years needs to be a place where my passions are not only understood but also nurtured. The Tufts Department of Psychology's dedication to undergraduate research and its emphasis on interdisciplinary learning and practical knowledge demonstrate its appreciation for the wealth of information the "unscience" holds. At Tufts, I can prove the skeptics wrong.
tuna624 3 / 6  
I think it's great!
I like the way you wrote your essay!
It shows you strongly wants to study at tufts:)
OP mmmargarita 10 / 79  
Thanks Juna!

Here's a revision. Added more stuff about Tufts, less about me.
poisonivy 14 / 102  
The Tufts Department of Psychology's dedication to undergraduate research and its emphasis on interdisciplinary learning and practical knowledge - this part is a bit tiring, or maybe it slows down a bit the rhythm. I would suggest you to make it a bit shorter and less like you have copy-pasted it from tuft's webpage (i know you haven't - just to give the idea of what i mean)

apart form that, this piece of writing is great! well done
I wish you could help me a bit with my carleton supplement. those character limits are killing me. thanks in advance :)
applesandtea 3 / 9  
I think the second to last sentence is a bit too long and as poisonivy said, it can get a little tiring...but I think it'd work if you shortened it a bit. Another suggestion I have is to transition from the peers laughing sentence to the my home for the next four years sentence only because I know what you're getting at (the whole peers at your school not understanding you, but your Tufts peers will, etc), but it's just a little abrupt in my opinion.

Overall though, I thought it was good :)! Good job!
What do those skeptics prefer... the "hard" sciences? Some people call psych a "soft" science, because it is so abstract.

It might be good to mention that Tufts' interdisciplinary learning and practical knowledge emphases make you feel confident about their program, because even if you have interests that are outside the psych department you will still get to pursue them.

This essay makes me wonder what kind of psych you are drawn to and what kind of work you would like to do. Let's see some details of that life plan! :-)

Home / Undergraduate / why tufts - strong psychology department