"turn my ideas into a contribution of society" - Why Columbia

tonglil 3 / 8  
Hi all, this is my first time posting here and I am hoping to receive some helpful advice for my essay.

Also, I was wondering could I post more than 1 essay per thread? I have 2 more for you to read if you would :) Thanks!

1500 characters

Please tell us what you find most appealing about Columbia and why.

It is a well known fact that Columbia has a superb academic system, but more for me, the most appealing aspects of matriculating at Columbia would be about the people and places.

As a part of the rich learning environment Columbia hosts, there exists a wealth of knowledge residing in Noble Laureate professors and in the students who often perform revelatory research. Collectively, Columbia's family of students and alumni exert an immense presence; in the world, this impact has influenced HIV/AIDS treatment, and in New York City, students of Columbia excel in community services such as tutoring via the Double Discovery Center. I want to be surrounded by this talent and absorbed in this culture so that I may refine my character and adapt to the world right at its crossroads.

This crossroad is the dynamic city of New York because the lawns nested in the center of the campus are like a metaphor for the school and the city: a prominent hub for people of various backgrounds to explore each other's passions and enjoy each other's company. Surrounding this bustling area is the magnificent neo-classical bold architecture in a modernized city, and taking it all in the first time I stood there, I felt of tremendously inspired for my current aspirations.

Columbia will help me turn my ideas into a contribution of society and I expect to give back to the community by enrolling at Columbia because its comprehensive experience would be the perfect college adventure for me to grow on.

1496 characters
read 1 / 6  
maybe find a way to make it more personal, because if you think about it, thousands of these "why columbia?" essays are going to say the same exact thing
junk 1 / 4  
may be read sounds correct here
Doom 13 / 37 2  
Find a specific program in the school that you are interested in and talk about it. It will add more depth to your essay.
At the moment, your essay is very good, but also very generic. It could apply to almost any top tier university in the city. Specify why Columbia stands out.
OP tonglil 3 / 8  
@read & junk
Mm, okay do you have an example of what I can do? I'm not so sure how to add more depth to it since I am at the word limit :s

@Doom
I'm applying for the college for its holistic program and hope that it will suit me well for my pursuit of an major in architecture.

Thanks for the replies, any specific examples I would really appreciate since I don't have any sort of college adviser here in Canada.

Home / Undergraduate / "turn my ideas into a contribution of society" - Why Columbia