"My Turn to Lead" - Purdue essay

niklev 2 / 7  
Prompt: What are the qualities of a good leader? Use examples from your personal experiences to illustrate your particular leadership style.

My Turn to Lead

The same place I returned to each and every summer meant the world to me, yet I seemed to take those years for granted since I never could imagine myself at such an "old" age where my time as a carefree camper would soon come to an end. Reality unexpectedly hit me during my staff in training (S.I.T.) summer when I realized it was my turn to make camp so meaningful to the future generation of campers. I was to become the fun, optimistic S.I.T. that I had long looked up to every summer. In order to spread my love for camp onto younger campers, I knew it was vital for me to step up and bring out the best person inside of me through being open-minded, caring and relatable, while still acting like my true self.

This role I was about to obtain was all about displaying one's strongest leadership skills. Unlike the crazy and loud S.I.T.'s, I came off to be calmer. Me being more calm led others to think I was more of a shy person. People show their leadership in different ways and I wanted to prove everyone wrong who thought that being quieter would result in a bad role model for this responsibility. For instance, one day, a camper came up to me in tears explaining that she was homesick. In order to resolve their homesickness, I incorporated my experience with being homesick my first year as a camper by taking her mind off of home and planned a fun activity for her whole cabin.

Truthfully, my main goal through this experience wasn't all about proving myself to be just a great leader, but I wanted to make a major impact on the lives of these kids whom I spent my time with for several weeks. I wanted to share my passion for camp with them and show them how the traditions of camp have changed my life for the better.

By sharing my passion for what I truly loved seemed effortless. Even better, I was able to act like my true character and didn't have to pretend to act like someone else to obtain the status of being a leader. Throughout these eight weeks, my knowledge and passion about being an influential leader has significantly opened my mind to what a leader actually means; furthermore, I don't agree with how the ideal thought about a leader pertains to only representing one specific type of person. Leadership is able to be portrayed through numerous types of personalities.
nickg123 2 / 4  
2nd paragraph: "Unlike the crazy and loud S.I.T.'s, I came off to be calmer"
Edit: "Unlike the crazy and loud S.I.T.'s I'd come across in my many years at camp, I came off as a more calm, reserved kind of person."

3rd paragraph: "Truthfully, my main goal through this experience wasn't all about proving myself to be just a great leader"
Edit: "...wasn't to prove myself and simply be a great leader"

4th paragraph: "By sharing my passion for what I truly loved seemed effortless"
-> bad sentence, take out 'By'

Conclusion: "Leadership is able to be portrayed through numerous types of personalities."
Edit: "Instead, leadership is more of a subjective quality, and can be portrayed in many different ways through different personalites."
I think to is much better than onto here:
In order to spread my love for camp onto to younger campers, I knew it was vital for me to step up and bring out the best ...

In a lot of places, you can trim away some excess words in the sentences:

Unlike the crazy and loud S.I.T.'s, I came off tried to be calmer. Me Being more calm led others to think I was more of a shy person. People show their leadership in different ways and...

You gave some great examples!

Throughout these those eight weeks, my knowledge and passion about being an influential leader has have significantly opened my mind to what a leader actually means; furthermore, I don't agree with how the ideal thought about the ideal of a leader as one who represents only one type of personality. Leadership is able to be portrayed through numerous types of personalities.

Home / Undergraduate / "My Turn to Lead" - Purdue essay