Tutoring Spanish students - Why Northwestern University Transfer Essay?

Jholton247 1 / -  
What are the unique qualities of Northwestern - and of the specific undergraduate school to which you are applying - that make you want to attend the University? In what ways do you hope to take advantage of the qualities you have identified?

December 15, 1989 I was born in Northwestern University hospital. Few college applicants have the luck of saying that their first choice for college is the same place they first opened their eyes. Although, I haven't had a plan for everything in my life, my education has always been of the highest priority. I learned late in my high school years how important it is to stay on course and set goals. Looking back, I now see my freshman and sophomore years as the growing years. I reflect on those learning experiences as a pivotal time in my development as a student and burgeoning young adult. By the time my junior and senior years rolled around, I was more focused and dedicated to the pursuit of academic excellence. . This has been my typical "mo" - while I haven't always started out as the most diligent student, I always finish strong. However, being a scholastic "late bloomer" limited my options for college, so I chose to attend a local community college with the intention of redeeming my high school slip-ups with academic success in college. As Thomas Paine once said, "The real man who smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection." Through hard work and determination, I have done just that by maintaining a 3.7 GPA and being awarded membership in Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society for two-year colleges. Northwestern University is the next step on my educational journey. Compared to other prestigious universities in the United States, Northwestern University stands head and shoulders above others with its emphasis on social sciences and progressive mathematics which is just one of the reasons I seek admission as a transfer student. My short-term goals include majoring in mathematics and economic at The Weinberg College of Arts and Science. My long-term goals are to become a corporate lawyer and then go on to start my own mergers and acquisitions company. Thus, I believe, Northwestern University is the best place for me to cut my own path into the financial world. Although I was born in Chicago I have spent most of my life living in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Evanston would be a great transition for myself as a person and as a student, not only because of its academically oriented atmosphere, but also because of its closeness to a major metropolitan city. Being involved and immersed in the big city environment will help to diversify my social experiences and possibilities. All of my life I have been sheltered in my small community, stepping out of this bubble and into a bigger city is not only a good choice but also necessary to allow growth.

Many universities claim to give their students a truly well rounded education while at the same time boxing them into a major with overly specific course requirements. Northwestern allows for academic freedom that will develop students inside and outside of their major. Mathematics and Economics have been a passion of mine since I was young. I started reading about capital market trends and market instruments when I was a junior in high school. I was able to add to that knowledge with day trading activities in the stock market my senior year. Under the influence of my grandfather, an owner and operator of McDonald's Restaurants, I have gained a more in-depth understanding in economics and business. His professional experience and wisdom have helped me understand the history of the market, US economics, and the risky practices which lead to the current financial recession we are experiencing. Ironically, it is the unpredictable shits in the financial markets that interest me the most.

The vast assortment of courses and flexible requirements at Northwestern make it an ideal university for me to fully explore my passions. My dream is to become an investment banker and take those skills and create my own mergers & acquisitions firm as a corporate lawyer. Due to the elaborate applications of math in the financial system I would like to major in mathematics at The Weinberg College of Arts & Science. This particular schools dedication to analytical thinking I believe will help aid in my progression not only as a student, but also as an adult. As a junior moving closer to pursuing a career The Kellogg School of Management will give me all the tools I need to carry on the quest for economic knowledge my grandfather has guided me on thus far. From mergers & acquisitions to asset management Northwestern has exactly what I thirst and hunger for in economic. Both the Weinberg College of Arts & Sciences and The Kellogg School of Management are places where I can see myself thriving as an undergraduate student. However, Northwestern isn't just my ideal university, but I am your ideal student. Strong willed and likewise strong minded I recognize with a sense of maturity my path going forward. My progression and decisions as freshman in college and thus far have molded me into a prime candidate for transfer. As a sophomore my focus has steadied and my goals have only become clearer.

For the past three months I have had the opportunity to tutor native Spanish-speaking kindergarten students in English. This opportunity working with these students has been one of the most enriching and humbling experiences of my life. Not only have I learned about the importance of volunteering and giving back to others but most of all I have learned the effects that a single person can make on the life of others. Although I do feel that I have made a difference in the young students lives, they have changed my outlook on the education of children and how important education is to ones future. I use to take for granted how lucky I was to grow up in a great school system. After seeing how egger these students were to learn and improve on their English it made me think what they could do if they had the same resources I had. At Northwestern University I am looking forward to engaging in stimulating coursework and honing in on my career. As well as participating in community activities that will help me to give back to others just I have done with my kindergarten students.
December 15, 1989 I was born in Northwestern University hospital. Few college applicants have the luck of saying that their first choice... from distress, and grows brave by reflection." Through hard work and determination, I have done just that by maintaining a 3.7 GPA and being awarded membership in Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society for two-year colleges. Northwestern University is the next step on my educational journey.

All this material, starting with the moment of your birth, is a very roundabout way of getting to the answer to their question. I think this first para, while eloquently written, is misdirected.

When you get into talking about your short and long term goals, that is the good stuff! Start with that!

Many universities claim to give their students a truly well rounded education while at the same time boxing them into a major with overly specific course requirements. Northwestern allows for...

I don't know about this part. It is pretty flimsy. Fix it by giving a specific example of how your unique combination of interests will be better served by their method than by options at other schools. If they actually do NOT give a significantly advantageous kind of versatility, do not pretend that they do.

Tell only meaningful, substantial truths, and waste now words! This stuff is all unsubstantiated:
Strong willed and likewise strong minded I recognize with a sense of maturity my path going forward. My progression and decisions as freshman in college and thus far have molded me into a prime candidate for transfer.

Instead of general and unsubstantiated claims, prove your intellectual potential by impressively describing your intentions and intellectual interests -- a discussion that is specific to your chosen field.

Home / Undergraduate / Tutoring Spanish students - Why Northwestern University Transfer Essay?