'Twister and Spinner' - Supplement Essay . note to a future roommate..

jelidtj 5 / 21  
Prompt: "Virtually all of Stanford's undergraduates live on campus. Write a note to your future roommate that reveals something about you or that will help your roommate - and us - know you better."

Essay:

My friends, now frozen in precarious positions, all look at me, attentively anticipating further instructions. It is time to announce the next move. Seated, I look at the colorful board resting on my lap and set my fingers on the black arrow in its centre. I flick it as hard as I can, so that the board looks like a blur because of its motion. Gradually its momentum decreases. Slower and slower, passing the left hand quadrant, then left foot, even slower in the right foot section. It inches past blue then yellow then bam! "Right foot, GREEN!" I yell with much enthusiasm.

By now you must have guessed what I am doing. I'm playing the exciting and potentially complex game of twister. I love being in charge of the spinning board! While others may classify it as a boring activity, I absolutely enjoy being the master of randomness, a key aspect of the game. Besides, I am both unfit and clumsy, so even if I did try to be a player on the mat, I would probably be disqualified before my fifth move.

I like to call the master of the spinning board the "spinner" and the players on the mat the "twisters." No game of twister can be successful with either one party; both "spinners" and "twisters" must be involved and this has taught me about myself and others. The "spinner" is usually an individual who appreciates spontaneity and has a personality just as colorful as the spinning board. The "twisters" are purposefully active and embrace risk-taking. Some people, like my closest friends, are born "twisters", but I've always been a "spinner." That explains my random comments and vivacious spirit that make my friends laugh out loud and enjoy themselves. It also justifies my dancing in front of the mirror or using your last word as a prompt to turn my fist into a microphone and sing out loud.

If you are a "spinner" we already have something in common. But whether you are a "twister" or a "spinner" I'm sure, as roommates, we will have as fantastic a college experience as we would playing this game!

Please make corrections and general comments or suggestions.. all replies to this post are welcome :)

By the way, does this essay have to have a title? i hadn't chosen one, but if i need one, you may suggest :)

Thanks in advance !
zengrz - / 92  
Hi.

I think your analogy is really unique. Although the main idea is the good old "neither a key nor a lock can work alone", you make it fit your own personality by saying that the gregarious 'spinner' is always there to make his friend lol. To me this essay is also appropriate for the topic "describe an intellectually engaging activity", but you may want to make some amendments here and there.

...recarious positions, all look at me, attentively anticipating...

...me attentively, ...

I flick it

I thought spin will be better. It depends on your board size, though.

Gradually its momentum decreases. Slower and slower, passing the left hand quadrant

"Gradually its momentum decreases" alone will be enough.

laugh out loud and enjoy themselves

Either one of these will do

I think this essay is good.

G L~
ih8artichokes 6 / 17  
Though a title isn't required, I think it would be a nice addition to your essay.

Some ideas:
"Tied Up in Knots" -- Twister's motto?
"RYBG" -- colors on a Twister board

Also, if I was your roommate and I received this note, I'd be very excited about spending a year together with you! This really shows that you're a vibrant person and you're fun to be around. Good luck :)
dfrojas 2 / 6  
Hello, in the grammar I cant help you .. I'm colombian and my grammar in english it's so bad.

A title is not neccesary (I think so) Im doing my essay for the roommate and hasn't a title.

I think that if you write things about that you like would be better, you should write what things you can carry to your rommate, in the essay we can realize that you are a fun person but ... what you can teach to your roommate?? ... I think that if you do the essay like that would be better, Obviously keeping the issue of your essay (telling that you are a fun person)

as said ih8artichokes if I read this essay as your rommate I'd be very glad sharing a room with you, but as I told you I'd like if my roomate tell me what he/she can teach me.
OP jelidtj 5 / 21  
thanx a lot zengrz! i'll make those adjustments

go ih8artichokes! lol hmmm i like them both but i think i may choose RGYB :)
as Jamaicans would say, big up yuhself, yuh large :)

@dfrojas, cool i get what you're saying and i will consider. thanks man!

Still awaiting Kevin's responssssse :D idk, but his own just seals it for me lol
the master of randomness

Nice!!

No game of twister can be successful without both parties either one party; ; both "spinners" and "twisters" must be involved, and this has taught me about myself and others. The "spinner" is usually an individual who appreciates spontaneity and has a personality just as colorful as the spinning board.--- excellent!!

This is one of the best... you must know already that it has that energy of inspiration...
Kimathi 6 / 45  
Hey great essay! I am actually quite jealous! :)

My friends, now frozen in precarious positions, all look atme attent ively anticipating further instructions.

I though that comma interrupted with the flow of the sentence.

It is time to announce the next move .

I don't see the need for this sentence.

Seated, I look at the colorful board resting on my lap and set my fingers on the black arrow inat its centre.

By now you must have guessed what I am doing.that I'm playing the exciting and potentially complex game of twister.

Haha, I love the rest of it! Though I think you over the limit of 1800 characters. It appears that way, check to be sure.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Twister and Spinner' - Supplement Essay . note to a future roommate..