'I have two families' - Michigan Supplement #1 ~ Community

blquandt 9 / 23  
Everyone belongs to many different communities and/or groups defined by (among other things) shared geography, religion, ethnicity, income, cuisine, interest, race, ideology, or intellectual heritage. Choose one of the communities to which you belong, and describe that community and your place within it. (Approximately 250 words)

I have two families: the one I was born with and the one I run with. Though the former means the world to me, the latter, my high school cross country team, means almost as much. Like my birth family, my running family sees each other every day. We do have our occasional arguments and disagreements, but in the end we all love each other like brothers.

I started down the path to becoming a part of this running family when I attended practice over the summer before freshman year. I was just a small, frightened kid, but I was welcome there. I quickly befriended runners of all grades; I didn't know it then, but I was beginning to forge ties of camaraderie that would last for years. By sophomore year my strong work ethic and dedication to the team had earned me a position on varsity and a captainship. Two more years of hard work and leadership got me to the position of head captain. As I progressed through high school I also found myself becoming better friends with my varsity teammates. The longer we ran together, the more we got along and felt like a cohesive unit, like a true family.

I miss my fellow runners who have graduated and left the team. Alex, Victor, Blair, Ryan, Jesse, I wish they were all still around. I know there soon will be a day when I must leave as well, but I'll never forget the times I've laughed, cried, and run so hard I've nearly died with my team, with my brothers, with my family.
dealaus 5 / 21 1  
It is good! Although, the only advice I have is to skip on the part about your friends' names. They mean a lot to you, no doubt, but a college reader doesn't know them, so to them the names are irrelevant.

Home / Undergraduate / 'I have two families' - Michigan Supplement #1 ~ Community