My two homes: one in South Dakota, another in Texas - Brown supplement

astrum72 2 / 8 1  
Tell us where you have lived - and for how long - since you were born; whether you've always lived in the same place, or perhaps in a variety of places. (100 word limit)

Home has been two places for me: Rapid City, South Dakota for ten years and El Paso, Texas for seven. Both have offered opportunities to build my identity. As a Korean immigrant, I have learned the importance of preserving my own culture against a seemingly set status quo through participating in powwows every summer in Rapid City and learning to celebrate Dia De Los Muertos with more fervor than I do Halloween in El Paso. These places have emphasized the importance of broadening my perspective through exposure to other cultures, leading to a higher understanding of the my own background.
si1030 2 / 5 1  
@astrum72
I really like this essay. You go far beyond the prompt and describe where you have lived through a set of experiences rather than a boring physical description.

The only thing that I would suggest is maybe to expand a little on the last thing you talk about: understanding your own background, and maybe connect the end of your essay back to this idea of "home". Otherwise it's a really well-written essay!
Stephanie, as a Korean immigrant, you actually have lived in 3 places so you should describe the lessons you learned from all 3. These places are Korea, Rapid City, and El Paso. The prompt clearly states that you should describe all the places where you have lived so omitting the Korean living experience would be a mistake. That is actually the living place that you had which would pop out for the reviewer because that is where you started life and that is where your character was founded. Therefore, it is a necessary element of this essay. Highlight that part of your Korean life in a way that its importance to your development as a person is clearly seen and carries the same weight at the other two places where you lived once you got to the U.S.
TVLAERE 9 / 24 3  
@astrum72
What's good about this is that you explain the impact that this had on you which is the purpose of this prompt. A good strategy is to make yourself likeable via these essays and you open mind does just that.

Home / Undergraduate / My two homes: one in South Dakota, another in Texas - Brown supplement