UBC Personal Profile: Explain How You Responded To A Problem

younmass 1 / 1  
Explain how you responded to a problem and/or an unfamiliar situation. What did you do, what was the outcome, and what did you learn from the experience? (maximum 200 words)

Using Skill Set to Adapt

In a professional environment, possession of a broad skill set is key to success. You can never foresee what onerous situation you may be placed in, but having the ability to adapt to said situation will most definitely relieve said pressure. While volunteering at the Schenectady Mission Soup Kitchen, I noticed a certain couple seated in the back corner had not yet received their meals. A fellow volunteer was attempting to take their order, her face flushed, often stopping to ask "Wait, what?" As I make my way over, I realize that they are not speaking English, but rapid Spanish. The other volunteer was understandably confused, not having the skill set to adapt to the situation. However, being enrolled in a college level spanish class, I find myself quite comfortable with the language. I walk to the table, introduce myself, and begin to take their order in the best spanish I could muster. A rye smile spread across the face of both couples as I took their order to the kitchen. Unfamiliar situations should not be viewed as a burden, but as a learning experience for everyone involved.
Massin, this is a simple and impressive situational response. However, it is not impressive enough because the situation you presented lacks depth. That is why you were give 200 words to work with in this essay. The situation you have to present should showcase a number of things that helps to indicate your preparedness to attend college. You have to tell a story that portrays your ability to deal with an unexpected situation by allowing the development of maturity in the individual or the development of a useful character trait. What you indicated shows how you were able to deal with a situation because you were prepared for it by your college Spanish classes. So no surprise there, you were equipped to handle the situation. That is not what we are looking for here. We are looking for evidence of how you handle situations beyond your control either because you are unprepared, lack the ability or equipment to deal with situation, or you are in a situation that you know is beyond the area of your expertise. How do you handle sudden changes or situations you cannot control? These would give the reviewer a better idea as to how you might handle possible stressful situations as a college student who is being immersed in a demanding and unfamiliar situation for the first time.
OP younmass 1 / 1  
So would you advise a complete redo of the prompt?

Home / Undergraduate / UBC Personal Profile: Explain How You Responded To A Problem