UBC Personal Profile: Importance of a Balanced Life

Famai 3 / 6 3  
PROMPT:

What is important to you? And why?

(maximum 250 words)

Just like in December of 2018, I fell into a nervous breakdown again last October. I tried asking myself what was causing it, because I was tired of being attacked by the recurring symptoms: rumination, heart palpitations, insomnia, muscle aches and so on. I reflected on my lifestyle but to me it was as normal as that of any other typical Asian high school student. I found out that those exact signs run in my extended family-- it was hereditary, and I am highly susceptible to it. Seeking a therapist was not a choice as having any sort of mental illness is considered taboo here, so I opted for self-help by doing a lot of reading and seeking advice from those who suffer along with me, online.

Since then, my priorities have shifted massively. Although outwardIy I am a high-functioning person, in reality I tend to spread myself too thin trying to achieve rather unrealistic expectations based on society's standard model of 'success' at the expense of my mental health. Now I gradually grow to realize that I have a bigger purpose in life; to be one who is well-rounded, leaves a positive impact in the world, while also being in contentment. In the pursuit of that, I invest more time 'slowing down' --by painting, looking at the universe and learning about my religion, and acknowledging my small successes. This sense of balance is what I regard as quintessential to a more fulfilling life.

I just want to know if this essay sounds too personal or is running away from the topic. Any sort of feedback on content/structure is appreciated. Thank you! :)
kathleenjeanne 1 / 1 2  
Hi Famai!
First of all, this essay is has an incredible choice of vocabulary, very organized and highly personal - which I believe is what UBC looks for. However (I know this might sound awful) I heard from my friends who applied for UBC that this University is not fond of talks about mental issues. Despite your well-rounded essay, I think it would be better if you use other examples! I am also applying for UBC and Lina Lecompte'sy Youtube videos helps a lot! She mentioned something about using mental health issues as your topic, you should definitely try checking it out!
I am afraid that the essay ran away from you and the prompt itself. What you discussed was more of something used in the supplemental essays regarding any additional information that you think is important but was not addressed in the other prompts. The topic for this particular prompt has to do with any of the following: Personal virtue, character in the face of adversity or trial, social consciousness, moral righteousness, personal beliefs, ideologies, and the like. Based on any of those suggestions, you can choose a topic that would seem important to you and explain why that is. It must reflect your development as a person in any of the aforementioned areas in order to be an effective response to the essay.

Home / Undergraduate / UBC Personal Profile: Importance of a Balanced Life