UBC 1. How you responded to a problem and/or an unfamiliar situation - work shift

sauderacceptme 1 / 1  

1.Explain how you responded to a problem and/or an unfamiliar situation.

What did you do, what was the outcome, and what did you learn from the experience? (maximum 200 words)

The stressful experience of working early morning shifts, dealing with impatient customers, and being unable to find success at my McDonald's job in Port Moody was a challenge that I had to overcome. It was hard adapting to my first job. I felt helpless when customers would yell at me with profanities, throw hot coffees at me and criticize me loudly for my poor work in the kitchen and customer service. I take pride in my work, and these failures drove me to eagerly improve my skills. In the following months, I perceived the way experienced employees worked and noted small details upon it. Throughout these months I learned to maintain my values while protecting the company's reputation. I overcame my fear of dealing with rude customers by remaining calm and notifying the manager. Most importantly, I learned to balance my schedule so I can work early morning shifts and still exceed in school. The power of initiating in bettering myself reflected as my confidence and skill improved at work. As a result of my initiative, I found further success as an employee and a student.

This is the best attempt I have had to answer this question. Please leave me suggestions and tips below, it would mean a lot to me.
The main focus of the discussion presentation is your job as a crew person at McDonald's. You did not refer to any situation regarding a work-study balance in the statement. Since that reference cannot be found in the early part of the essay, you should not suddenly throw that situation comparison or solution in towards the end of the essay. It will be more effective for your response if you focus on the problem at work due to the unfamiliar situation of customer service that you found yourself in. The essay was more interesting to read without the study reference, which created confusion for the reader. Stick to one major topic and how you dealt with it. Removing the study aspect creates that strong response statement for you, based on your first job experience. Refer to how the changes you made helped you resolve your workplace issue and how your crew-client interaction improved because of it. Explain how it improved and if it resulted in a professional improvement or reward, such as a promotion or becoming employee of the month, on your part.
OP sauderacceptme 1 / 1  
Thank you so much! Extremely helpful.

Home / Undergraduate / UBC 1. How you responded to a problem and/or an unfamiliar situation - work shift