Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

UCF: "How has family/culture influenced who you are?

Sweed 1 / -  
Work in progress, just wrote this from scratch. I'm having some trouble with word choice though, and on how to end it. Currently sits at 287 words, about 40 above what they want. First part of the two, haven't wrote the second yet. Thanks for any help!

I grew up in a very Scandinavian family. Both of my parents are honest, hard working people. whom sincerely believe that school is the only way to go, and that there is but one way to go: Up. My father came from a somewhat poor family of six children growing up in a small village outside in northern Sweden. I remember stories he told me when I was young where he didn't have the money to buy a shoe string to tie his shoes. On the other hand, my mom grew up in a middle class family outside of Gothenburg, Sweden and had all the material possessions she could want. And yet, my parents strongly insist that money does not bring happiness.

For a while I was at a loss as to what this meant. Both parents were wealthy and had more than enough money to buy whatever we wanted. And yet they chose not to spoil me or my siblings. Until recently I did not understand their actions and motives. But on a recent trip back to our home country, I realized how this all fit into place. My parents had seen what a wonderfully amazing world we live in, and they chose to explore a higher education as a means to learn more about this delightful planet.

I had realized as they had once also done, that education is not about the potential for money or for greatness, but is instead a important pathway for us to learn more about ourselves and the lives we lead. I had learned that a solid education will help secure a career of happiness in an area that we truly appreciate, leading to a higher happiness than otherwise possible.

Home / Undergraduate / UCF: "How has family/culture influenced who you are?