UCF essays (family history, why UCF) - Chinese culture

Sui0915 3 / 2  
2. How has your family history, culture or environment influenced who you are?
Even though we may not realize it, our families influence us significantly. Your family's history, culture, and environment help mold the person you are today.

The value of education has always been important to our family. As a child of immigrants from China, I will be the first person in my family to ever go to college. My parents have worked really hard as a cook at a Japanese restaurant and a seamstress at a interior design shop to provide a good life for my sister and I. My parents never had the opportunity to attend college, so they always stress how important education so I can take advantage of the opportunities I have to become successful. But also, in order to be sucessful, you must work hard to reap the benefits; I am currently taking AP courses and college preparatory courses to challenge and motivate myself to become better.

In small gap between birth and death, your attitude plays a significant role in how people will judge your character. Being raised in a society where young adults are allowed to disrespect people older than themselves, my parents made sure that me and my sister would respect and be polite to our elders and as well as our peers. When someone would criticize me negatively even though I did not do anything to hurt them, I would not argue back, but I would become the bigger person and smile back and compliment them instead. Everyone has a right to their own opinion even if you do or do not agree with them; you must be considerate to their opinions and feelings towards a situation whether or not you agree with them.

I also learned to never take the blessings from my family and God for granted. My parents may have never been able to enjoy themselves in order to take care of me and my sister, but they knew that it was a beneficial choice that they had to make by leaving China to the United States where they would start a family. I am so grateful for everything my parents have done for me. I hope that I will be blessed with the opportunity to continue my journey to success at University of Central Florida studying elementary education.

3. Why did you apply to UCF?
During the summer, my friend & I made an "Orlando Day" for us to go shopping, see a movie, and have dinner. We were to meet at UCF and little did I know that she planned for the both of us to take a campus tour just for me even though she attended school there. Everytime her and I would talk on the phone, I would hear nothing but wonderful things about UCF; from life-changing football games to seeing Panic at the Disco in concert. I never knew that there was so much to do in one campus! Also with the help of UCF's spectacular gym, I hope to continue my New Year's Resolution to not only to not gain the dreaded "Freshman 15," but to lose weight as well. Growing up in a small town and attending school where its student population of Asians is about one percent, I am very interested about joining the Asian Student Association to not only interact with more Asian peers, but to learn more about the Asian culture. My family is the most important part of my life, and UCF is only about an hour and a half away from home, it will be convenient for me to visit my family or vice versa. The shuttle system will make the commute easier from the dorms to class easier, medical care is available whenever an illness occurs, and the dorms are so spacious it feels like being at home. UCF's College of Education is known to create more educators than any school in the state and is always updating its technology to help students learn beyond their potential and become the best they can be.

So the actual tour and the campus tour from her perspective lasted about 3 hours; it was all it took to make me fall in love with the campus and make UCF my number one choice.

UCF will be my home away from home. UCF stands for opportunity and I know that UCF would be an opportunity I could not pass up.
n00bl3t 3 / 30  
"Your family history, culture, and environment helped mold the person you are today. The value of education has always been important to my family. Born to immigrants from China, I will be the first person in my family to ever go to college. My parents have worked really hard as a cook at a Japanese restaurant and a seamstress at an interior design shop to provide for my sister and I. My parents never had the opportunity to attend college, so they always stress how important education is.That way I can take advantage of the opportunities I have to become successful. But also, in order to be successful , you must work hard to reap the benefits; I am currently taking AP courses and college preparatory courses to challenge and motivate myself to become better."

For your answer to question #2 I feel that you were all over the place. I believe you can improve on the clarity of you work. You have good ideas and a great start, just try to focus on how family history, culture or environment influenced you. The key word there is or. So choose one of the things you wrote about and try to expand on how it has influenced you. "During the summer, my friend and I went to shop, see a movie, and have dinner. We met at UCF, the school she was attending , and little did I know that she planned a campus tour just for me. Every time we talked on the phone, I would hear nothing but wonderful things about UCF; from life-changing football games to seeing Panic at the Disco in concert."

...
UCF will be a home away from home. UCF stands for opportunity and an opportunity I can not pass up.

The answer for question #3 was quite good, I think you really hit the nail.
Good Luck.
Even though we may not realize it, our families influence us significantly. My family's history, culture, and environment help mold the person I am today.

The value of education has always been important to my family.

...

My parents never had the opportunity to attend college, so they always stress how important education so I can take advantage of the opportunities I have to become successful. But also, in order to be successful , you must work hard to reap the benefits; I am currently taking AP courses and college preparatory courses to challenge and motivate myself to excel and progress.

During the summer, my friend and I planned an "Orlando Day," when we would go shopping, see a movie, and have dinner. We were to meet at UCF and little did I know that she planned for the both of us to take a campus tour just for me even though she attended school there. Every time her and I would talk on the phone, I would hear nothing but wonderful things about UCF; from life-changing football games to seeing Panic at the Disco in concert. I never knew that there was so much to do in one campus! Also with the help of UCF's spectacular gym, I hope to continue my New Year's Resolution to not only to not gain the dreaded "Freshman 15," but to lose weight as well. Growing up in a small town and attending school where its student population of Asians is about one percent, I am very interested about joining the Asian Student Association to not only interact with more Asian peers, but to learn more about the Asian culture.

...and start a new paragraph:

My family is the most important part of my life, and UCF is only about an hour and a half away from home, it will be convenient for me to visit my family or vice versa. The shuttle system will make the commute easier from the dorms to class easier, medical care is available whenever an illness occurs, and the dorms are so spacious it feels like being at home. UCF's College of Education is known to create more educators than any school in the state and is always updating its technology to help students learn beyond their potential and become the best they can be.

...UCF stands for opportunity, and I know that it is an opportunity I should not pass up.

Home / Undergraduate / UCF essays (family history, why UCF) - Chinese culture