Why UChicago Essay 2018: Is it Ready? Like a home.

jungkook666 1 / 1  

I want a home outside of home

How does the University of Chicago, as you know it now, satisfy your desire for a particular kind of learning, community, and future? Please address with some specificity your own wishes and how they relate to UChicago.

Note: Considering there is no strict word limit, I followed advice from online sources suggesting to keep the words between 650 - 750. Please let me know if some phrases aren't worded at UChicago level (or if it sounds too pretentious), as I tried my best to utilize the best vocabulary in my knowledge.

I want a home outside of home. Not once did I ever have the confidence or thought to compel me to challenge myself for such a big leap in commitment. Subjecting myself to the local lifestyle of my hometown is comforting, however it is not the boost of unfamiliarity I yearn for. UChicago offers a big city in one campus, niches and differences found all around. Though the seasons change every quarter and the days go by just like at home, the major differences between Chicago and New Hampshire instill a sense of strength within me.

The thing about UChicago is that it thrives off the individuality of every student, which is exactly what I want to display. UChicago searches for difference, diversity, creative expression, and originality from every single student. I grew up conditioned to feel like I have to fit in with a certain group to be considered, but UChicago makes me feel welcomed for my differences. I see it as a place where I can present the truest version of myself.

My mind was set on art for the majority of my high school years. I constantly perused various art schools, but it didn't satisfy my lingering want for in-depth cultural education. I'm ecstatic that UChicago offers both courses on East Asian languages, which no classes were available for in high school, as well as visual arts. On top of that, I'm happy that it gives students the ability to be heard thanks to smaller classroom sizes. Most importantly to me, it has a variety of options for studying abroad, and it would make me feel honored to represent UChicago. Having the opportunity to study and live in a different country is a tremendous headstart to pursuing life outside of the United States post-graduation.

A distinguished saying about the Korean alphabet is that "a wise man can acquaint himself with them before the morning is over; even a stupid man can learn them in the space of ten days." This saying can be applied to any subject, permitting time and brainpower. UChicago carries the resources for students to acquire any subject of their choosing, where they can take a seat at the Harper Library or The Reg and study for hours on end. Students at UChicago are the wise men acquaint learn material by evening, whether it be with frustration, adversity, or joy. The strenuous environment is exciting to my own. I trust UChicago to guide me toward an international career, thanks to Korean language classes and exceptional professors like Won-Kyung Na, who I've seen fantastic demos for.

Not only do I expect UChicago to commit to my higher education, but also my higher expression. UChicago provides quality classes and lectures pertaining to everyone's interests, but I also consider expanding interests into joining clubs of high importance. The expanse of expression within the student body is molding, forever changing, however each student can be able to find someone just like them. It's not often that a university comes together to plan an enormous scavenger hunt, but UChicago has done it. More specifically, there are tons of RSOs like Festival of the Arts, various dance clubs, and hundreds of others that I'm excited to learn about. My hope is that these clubs will help give me a more substantial outlook on not only my life but the lives around me, and put it to work in the years to come. Getting to know people might be the greatest thing to happen in one's life. The RSOs at UChicago push me to try harder to know others than any other school organization has done in the past.

A city just over one thousand miles away from me most likely would not warm up to me very quickly, however the distance is minute compared to the vast range of opportunities that lie at UChicago. The idea of myself being included within the student body is comfortably snug within my mind, painting UChicago as my paradise and all I can wish for. This is not one of the places where I must throw my creativity nor humor away, but instead utilize it to the best of my ability. It is with my utmost honor that I consider UChicago to be my home outside of home.
Shana, you should only write a 725-750 word essay if you have enough interesting information to share with the reviewer. At this point, you created a very wordy essay that is beautiful to read, but little informative to a very busy admissions officer tasked with reviewing your application. From the way that I read this essay, it could have easily, and more interestingly presented within the 650 - 675 word format.

Please remember, the quicker you can say what you want, the more assured you will be that the reviewer will finish reading your essay. The reviewer is after content in relation to presentation rather than wordiness in relation to creative writing. Try to keep your information presentation focused on the required elements provided in the prompt.

Be direct to the point. Don't force the reviewer to have to wade through a lengthy explanation because he will lose interest and set aside your essay for "future" reviewing. Which means he may or may not get back to it later on. When writing application essays, it is always best to keep it short and informative rather than long and creative.
OP jungkook666 1 / 1  
UChicago

Alright, thank you much for the suggestion. I've revised the essay to be around 550 words now, yet still have all the relevant information from beforehand!

Home / Undergraduate / Why UChicago Essay 2018: Is it Ready? Like a home.