Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

UCI Supplemental- what DECA has done for me.

nicolejadeyee 2 / 3  
Prompt: In your application you may have mentioned an extraordinary talent/skill or academic achievement. This may include participation in Junior Olympics, national debate competitions, recognition for musical talent, etc. Please take this opportunity to share with us more detailed information about the level of your achievement, depth of participation, and passion for this particular area.

For the past three years, Castro Valley High School DECA has been my passion. DECA is an international club that prepares high school student leaders and entrepreneurs for careers in marketing, finance, hospitality and management. I joined DECA because I knew early on in my high school life that the area of business was one that I wanted to pursue. I was also new to Castro Valley High School when I joined DECA and I knew that joining the club would help me make friends that also shared the same interests as me. I wanted to compete against other schools to practice presenting in front of my peers others and expand both my base of knowledge and my social network. I hoped to develop skills that I could use in the future through DECA while simultaneously pushing myself to my limits and as I approach the end of my high school life, I know that I've achieved my goals.

I'll never forget my first DECA competition. I have never worked so hard on an eleven-page report for a Fashion Promotion Plan. At times I was tossed into adversity and when my partner dropped out a week before the competition, I knew late nights were sure to come. The heart pumping, stomach dropping, adrenaline-rushing feelings as I started my presentation are experiences I will never forget. After my presentation, the feeling of accomplishment that rushed to me and as they called my name to take the stage for placing in the top eight the next day solidified the idea that this is what I wanted to do throughout high school. I continued on to the State level again competing in the second most competitive category, Fashion Promotion Plan. Although I did not place, I looked forward to redeeming myself the next year. And I did...

The following year I competed in the Advertisement Campaign event with my best friend. With teamwork and long nights of preparation we placed top eight at the Northern California and State level. All our hard work had paid off. My final year of DECA, my partner and I competed again in the category Advertisement Campaign. Although we did not place at the Northern California or State level, we were proud of our project. Two years in the making, we poured our souls into our eleven page written and had an amazing experience at the conferences. DECA conferences have been an adventure for me. Through my projects, I have proven to myself that hard work pays off. I have developed my professional writing skills and now know every step that it takes to plan business events. At competitions, I have expanded my network and made long-lasting friendships that I will take with me into the future. I've experienced first hand the competitive business world through DECA and now I am able to compete professionally. These competitions have pushed me to power through any adversities. They have taught me the importance of staying organized, planning ahead, and staying prepared for anything; skills that I will take me with into college and my future career.

My junior year, I was elected by my former officers to be the Vice President of Civic Consciousness. As Vice President of Civic Consciousness, I organized community service activities that our DECA chapter participated in. As a chapter, we participated in sorting cans for the Thanksgiving food drive, collected school supplies for children in Africa, and made 200 cards for the Oakland Children's Hospital. We also raised $700 for the American Cancer society through our annual DECA Variety Show and DECA Battle of the Bands. As an officer, I was invited to attend the two-day Leadership Development Conference where I attended seminars that further improved my leadership skills especially in the field of Civic Consciousness. During my senior year I was elected to the position of secretary. As a secretary, I continued all the officer duties from last year and took on new responsibilities such as coaching new officers, designing flyers for all DECA events, planning DECA week, and taking notes at all meetings. I also shed my light onto the younger members still finding their way in the vast DECA world. I took pride in thoroughly reading their written and providing feedback that I knew judges want to see.

Being a DECA officer for two years have truly been a blessing. I have gained so many valuable leaderships skills such as time management, leading by example, staying organized, delegating tasks, communicating effectively, and staying passionate no matter what. Being an officer opened the doors to many opportunities such as attending the Leadership Development Conference and participating in planning and organizing club events. I learned to prioritize my time to make sure I attended the extra officer meetings and events and also have time for school and basketball. I am thankful to have experienced leadership roles in DECA. It was hard work, but a rewarding experience because now I am confident that I will have the fundamentals to succeed as a leader in any business role in the future.

DECA has impacted my life tremendously because my three-year experience has been truly phenomenal. Over the years, I have enhanced my co-curricular education through a comprehensive learning program that integrates classroom instruction, applies learning, connects to business, and promotes competition. Through competitions, I was enabled to create long-lasting memories, celebrate deserving victories, and form life-long networks. Through my officer positions, I have developed team-working skills, leadership skills, and fundamentals that every businesswoman should know. DECA has given me a confidence to take on the world. That heart pumping, stomach-dropping feeling has disappeared because now I feel comfortable presenting in front of my peers and adults. I know as I make the transition into college I will have the fundamental skills to expand my network, be a leader, and be successful businesswomen.

Home / Undergraduate / UCI Supplemental- what DECA has done for me.