From Uganda to Boston - Rutgers

JD3496 1 / -  
"Rutgers University is a vibrant community of people with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. How would you benefit from and contribute to such an environment? Consider variables such as your talents, travels, leadership activities, volunteer services, and cultural experiences." is the prompt. 3800 character limit (with spaces) which I am currently under. Thank you in advance for your help.

Growing up in Easton, a suburb of Boston, I have not experienced much diversity in my community. There are people of many different races and beliefs but they only represent a small percentage of the people in Easton. A majority of my high school is middle-class, white, and catholic. This hindered my ability to interact with a diverse student body from a young age. Growing up here also had some advantages though. I grew up in a nice neighborhood and with a great school system that has prepared me very well for college. Although my community isn't as diverse as some others, my family has a fair amount of racial diversity

My Uncle Richard was born and lived in Uganda before emigrating to the United States as a teenager. He met my Aunt Paula, my mothers cousin, and married her. I was exposed to this from a young age and didn't find it strange that my uncle and cousins had a different skin color. It took a while for me to realise that not everyone's family was like this and that many people in Easton didn't have this type of diversity in their family. Growing up around this part of my family was very interesting and added a level of understanding and acceptance to my thoughts about other cultures.

Along than being part of a culturally diverse family, i have my own unique personality and skillset that I will bring to Rutgers. I understand the benefits of hard work and how dedicating yourself to certain things will help you achieve your goals. I will do my best to help other students understand this and try to instill these values in my peers. These values were instilled in me by my parents. Neither of my parents went to college but they are still very successful people because of their hard work. My mother worked many different jobs but decided to go into nursing school when I was in kindergarten. This taught me a lot about working hard to reach your goals, even though I was young at the time.

My father has worked hard throughout his life, starting when he was in his teens. He has taught me the values of hard work and even more importantly, the value of money. Many students in high school don't think much about the importance of saving money but my father has always told me to save mine and taught me why I need to be cautious with it. From things like paying bills to buying groceries, you need to have extra money. I think everyone should be able to save their money, especially while in college when it can be hard to come by.

Rutgers presents an amazing opportunity for me to grow. While I was on the campus tour I saw how widespread and distinct every person on all five campus' were, as well as how diverse the campus' themselves were. Going into the science program at Rutgers will allow me to learn in different environments with a wide variety of professors from different backgrounds. It excites me to know that I could have a class in an urban setting in the morning and a rural setting in the afternoon. Personally the most exciting element to Rutgers is the ability to go into both New York and Philadelphia due to the schools close proximity to both cities. Both of these cities are main U.S. hubs of all different types of diversity where I can learn so many new things about all different walks of life. These cities also contain many different companies that I have the opportunity to an internship with through the many different programs Rutgers offers.

By going to Rutgers I will be encompassed by all types of diversity and opportunities. The Rutgers community will be able to help me immensely and I will be able to add my own unique beliefs, values and abilities to the already vibrant community on campus. I know that the environment will create many amazing opportunities and challenges for me to use to make myself the best that I can be.
RashedMohamed - / 5  
Hi good to see your effort but every essay must be accurate for sure. I found some important points by reading this Essay.

1-uses very emotional language
2-uses personal examples (e.g. I, Me, My...)
Growing up in Easton, a suburb of Boston, I have not experienced much diversity in my community.

Growing up in Easton, a suburb of Boston, my community offered limited opportunities to experience diversity.

There are people ofmany different races and beliefs but they only represent a small percentage of the people in Easton.

.... many and "a small percentage" ? Sounds a bit contradicting. Do you mean it had only a small percentage of people with diverse backgrounds ? Or anything else? I don't get your idea.

Although my community isn't as diverse as some others, my family has a fair amount of racial diversity

.... the first part has been repeated several times in this para and therefore the reader knows that fact. This is what I suggest;
However, my family represents a fair amount of ethnic diversity.

Home / Undergraduate / From Uganda to Boston - Rutgers