UGRAD - 'Who would be born must first destroy the world.' - LEADERSHIP APPROACH

hhspark 3 / 11  
Everyone's approach to leadership is different.
How would you describe your personal leadership style? What values do you consider the most important when leading others? How do you inspire and influence others to get behind your vision?

I am having a hard time writing this essay. I have so much info I want to put in this writing but I don't know how to organize them. Also, I'm worried that I'm mentioning too much about the person I invited, in writing about my efforts.

'The bird fights its way out of the egg. The egg is the world. Who would be born must first destroy the world.' The quote from Demian by Hermann Hesse directs the goal of my life. The 'egg' is a comfy place. However, if you do not endeavor to hatch from the egg, the shell will be cracked by external forces very soon. When the team has its goal ahead and things are stuck, as a driven leader I try to move on to the way no one has ever gone before.

During my internship, I participated as a staff for the conference called 'AAA Forum' hosted by the news network, where experts and politicians from all around the world gather and discuss Korea's future policies. Due to the pandemic, speakers we wanted to invite were reluctant to travel abroad and every condition was very uncertain to host an international event. Also, even when speakers agreed to come we were receiving declines from the upper management and were exhausted to proceed with any fresh good ideas. I assumed our event would not get any better in the current condition and seized to act more actively towards our purpose. To conclude, I managed to invite two speakers from US and England, first-ever as an intern. One of them was AAA, an American climate justice activist currently serving on the White House Environmental Justice Advisory Council as the AAA

I first started off analyzing every session in detail and pointed out the problem that all the speakers in the environmental debate session were composed of similar expertise and generation, which was not appropriate for constructive discussions. Then I undertook researches on environment-related industries and young activists who are leading this world towards change. Among them, I contacted AAA. With the inauguration of the new government and their freshly organized climate policies, I expected America's active climate movements would cross all over the world in multilateral perspectives of global issues. Also, Korea's presidential candidates were participating in the conference and I wished to raise their awareness since none of them seemed to be interested in climate issues. Mentioning these reasons I continuously persuaded AAA in earnest for a month, and he finally accepted to come to Korea.

Then I visited our executive team office and asserted that future generations should not be excluded and that we need a person from worldwide perspectives since environmental issues are not confined to one certain country. After days of persuasion, the team accepted my idea and I could finally invite AAA over. He was one of the most enthusiastically responded speakers of the year and I also worked as an interpreter for his two exclusive news interviews in Korea. I found the interview very meaningful to encourage young Korean activists, who are not yet appreciated for their efforts.

A great leader should also know how to organize every person's talents to make a great harmony in teamwork. My fellows willingly supported my ideas and we could efficiently work on following procedures after. To build healthy cooperation, I believe a leader should be qualified in her prudence. Not rushing nor acting dogmatically, I studied and worked harder suggesting multiple options to change the situation. Being a self-starter, I reasoned our team into compliance.
You were not a leader in this case. The movements you undertook were that of an individual who was not working with his team. Not in a consultative capacity, not in a team participation category. The narration within is not about leadership, it is all about taking intitiative, which most people tend to mistake for a leadership ability. A person with intitiative moves as you did in this essay, alone and with determination. A leader, knows how to take the initiative to inspire his co-workers and teammates for the shared success of the project. A leader does not take the spotlight alone. He knows how to assist his team so that they can shine both individually and as a group. None of which you showed in this essay because it focused on the "Me, me, me!" aspect of your participation in the project. The last paragraph defines who and what a leader should be. However, your essay does not support that definition. Remember, a leader does not require compliance, he requires cooperation and group effort of his team members. He does not do the work alone and then forces the team to do as he says. This was not an open team effort. This was a solo rogue movement you chose to undertake without consultancy, but requiring compliance from others.
OP hhspark 3 / 11  
Thank you very much. I've realized what I completely misunderstood. I should change the whole plot.
OP hhspark 3 / 11  
Merged:

Ugrad Essay - Everyone's approach to leadership is different.

Everyone's approach to leadership is different. How would you describe your personal leadership style? What values do you consider the most important when leading others? How do you inspire and influence others to get behind your vision?

Throughout history, we have always lived in teams to obtain basic needs and fight for opponents outside. We are creatures so familiar with living together but still desirable teamwork is never an easy task. What we require is for the team is a sense of belonging, something a lot more than a mere presence of the team. When working as a team, confronting a passive atmosphere is tougher than compromising contrary opinions. When members lack their sense of belonging, they lose their passion to work and a leader could never row a boat by oneself. As a democratic leader, I try my best to embrace each members' opinions in harmony for the common goal, transforming diversity into a strong point of the outcome.

I am sensitive to others' feelings, maintaining a positive and active mood in the team is important for me more than anything. Last year, I led a team in a class called "Design Thinking." The class required us to make a service in a given problem, through various design methods. This was a problem given to our team: students are very portfolio-focused to certify their ability, but it does not show their cognitive skills. Unlike other teams, our team members were all from different majors. First-met and not knowing much about each others' fields we had a big task ahead, in limitation of time.

The first meeting was the toughest. We had dissimilar opinions in views on portfolios, art experiences, and job careers. Communication was even harder since we couldn't meet face to face on account of quarantine. Precious minutes ticked by without any progress. Then l made a brainwriting page in our shared file and marked our names and a given theme. I asked members to write down any trivial thoughts that come up to their minds. Viewing each idea helped us to understand others' flow of thinking and supplement our own ideas. This method was also great to work with without time and place restrictions. After collecting ideas I suggested making an affinity diagram together, which is a method to sort and set hierarchy in information. A team member then introduced us to an online affinity diagram tool he used at his workplace, and we were able to easily work on it at home. Sorting information in organized keywords gathered us in united steam and we could finally converge to share fruitful ideas for the service.

All our decision-making processes were made together, with lots of comments and alterations. Some might think such an approach is not efficient as they say too many cooks spoil the broth. However, by tracking each other's thinking process we could fully understand different opinions with respect and drew an objective embodiment. Our team came up with a service called "Processfolio", a work process app for artists. Interesting point is that we drove the idea from our procedures. We successfully finished the project, receiving excellent grades and warm responses from the class.

What I suggested was a small change as a starter and it boosted our team to focus harder with passion. We were each others' excitants when working in cooperation. Every week I organized the keywords from the class to draw more constructive ideas and always asked members what methods they use in their fields to adopt them in our process. A bright one-sided leader is not what we ask for these days. Our world is full of diversity and the flexibility of a leader is a must. I aim to be a leader who brings the best out of the team from their potentials and different talents.
You still have not identified what leadership style you typically use in a group setting. There are several types of leadership styles that you can choose from. These are readily available online for you to review, assess, and compare your leadership method to. Once you figure out what method you actually use, you will be able to clearly respond to the other required elements such as:

What values do you consider the most important when leading others?
How do you inspire and influence others to get behind your vision?

The essay does not need you to relate a leadership experience. That is just a waste of word count and space. The reviewer is more interested in how you embody leadership skills and use these to the advantage of the team. That is why you have to properly reflect the questions in your responses. A simple narration of a leadership experience will not provide the necessary information. You have to discuss your definition of leadership as based on a commonly identified leadership style, alongside some extra ordinary leadership qualities you may possess that leads to a unique leadership style. It is a bit confusing I know but, you are getting there.

Home / Undergraduate / UGRAD - 'Who would be born must first destroy the world.' - LEADERSHIP APPROACH