UIUC essay - "the best clarinetist"

ballenas 1 / -  
Please somebody help me proof read my essay! i am so despearte!

Essay 2: In an essay of 300 words or less, choose one extracurricular activity, work experience, or community service project from the list you provided on the application and explain why you initially chose it, why you continued with it, and how you benefited from it.

I used to be the best clarinetist in my middle school. I loved playing high notes and I was often chosen as a sololist in my concert band. So I had conceit in my self and I expected my high school music career to be just as smooth as before, but my smooth surface got roughed up when I entered highschool and found out that there was no space for another clarinetist. As a result, I was forced to play bass clarinet that everyone was reluctant to play because of its enormous size and cost. I felt reproachful at my teacher for not even giving me a chance to audition infont of him but being a member of a highschool concert band always has been my dream, so I quit complaning and went to the renting store withought a second of hesitation. At first, it took me a while to adjust to a new instrument but the more I squeked, the more competetive I became. I practiced densely and woke up extra one hour ealier to go the rehersals in the morning. Soon I was able to play an unfamilir instrument with complete control. At the same time, I learned a new important thing that I could not have learend before as a first clarinetist: Harmony. I started incline my ear to other parts and be cooperative. I first joined the band thinking that one day I will switch back to first clarient. However, now I enjoy playing as a bass fuction which supports and solidifies the bottom because I know that in order for the top to exist, the bottom must exist as well. I was spotlighted many times so I think it is time for to turn spotlights to the others and continue creating harmony within the band.
The grammar is a bit rough in this one. Here are some revisions you can make:

Replace "my smooth surface got roughed up" with "I was soon disillusioned"

"As a result, I was forced to play bass clarinet, an instrument that everyone else was reluctant to play"

Replace "renting store" with "rental store"

Replace "I practiced densely" with "I practiced intensively"

Revise "time for to turn" to "time to turn"
How about using two different paragraphs? That would make it like two little essays. The second paragraph can start with: At first, it took me a while...

Home / Undergraduate / UIUC essay - "the best clarinetist"