UIUC Transfer | Passionate about Aerospace; Applying to Mechanical instead

BAJ1997 1 / -  
in an essay of 300 words or less, explain your motivation to transfer from your current/previous institution to Illinois and how your academic interests and/or professional goals will be fulfilled in your intended program of study.

standing on the shoulders of giants

Sir Isaac Newton said, "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants," and this is a quote I live by. Throughout my time at Parkland College, I have been climbing from one shoulder to another advancing in both math and science and seeing deeper and further. At the end of my current semester, I will have reached the highest shoulders at Parkland College. Simply, I will have learned everything related to engineering the college has to offer, yet I am as curious as I was when I first started college. Thus, I plan on transferring to Mechanical Engineering at the University of Illinois to climb even higher on the shoulders of the pioneers of this field. Since Parkland does not have active student organizations where I can apply what I learned in class, I am committed to fill in the gaps after my transfer to the University of Illinois. I look forward to applying what I learned in class regarding fluid dynamics at clubs such as the Illinois Space Society and the Illini Hyperloop.

As a kid, I always enjoyed reading about space exploration and the Apollo 11 mission. I always felt the adrenaline rush when I read about how society doubted the feasibility of sending a man to the moon and bringing him back safely. Luckily, the race to land a human on mars has begun, and I plan to use my knowledge in designing the spacecraft that will accomplish human's greatest achievement.However, as committed as I am to pursuing my interests, being international, stateless, and Palestinian limits my opportunities. As a result, majoring in Mechanical Engineering will broaden these opportunities related to aerospace, to include renewable energy or transportation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will submit this essay tomorrow. Looking for some feedback especially for the last paragraph. I have already showed it to a UIUC advisor and she said she like it. Am just looking for small suggestions. Thanks.
Bassel, try to impress the reviewer with your final paragraph by portraying a definite research idea that you can pursue as a student at llinois. Specifically, explain a space exploration machine idea that you feel can help with the Mars research program. Be out of the box. Think big. Present a Hollywood type contraption if you have to in order to explain how the move to this university will allow you to turn an imagined idea into a reality. Make that the basis of the strong desire for you to switch universities. Relate your professional idea to any club, organization, or internship program that the university offers which can help you feel the waters or see your imagination become a reality. By presenting the final paragraph in that manner, you will be able to show a strong sense of conviction in your plans and reiterate your belief that this university will be the best jumping off point for your ambitions and ideas when it comes to mechanical engineering.

Home / Undergraduate / UIUC Transfer | Passionate about Aerospace; Applying to Mechanical instead