'Ultimate Energy Creator' : If you could invent something what would it be and why?

angaduday 4 / 4  
Its a rough draft. Please help me as the deadline is 15th December.. Thanks!!!
Gatech Essay : If you could invent something what would it be and why??

If someday I acquire the skills to invent something I would build the UEC.
UEC, Ultimate Energy Creator, would be a device which would enable anyone to create energy from virtually any movement playing the guitar, surfing channels with the remote or simply walking to get a glass of water, the UEC can convert these mechanical energies to electrical energies. It consists of tiny receptors that sense even the tiniest of movements and then convert them to electrical signals which are interpreted by the receiver. The receiver then detects the level of energy and converts it to either electrical energy that can be stored in batteries or can be directly linked to a device. The UEC can either be strapped onto a person's arm or leg or can even be attached to an object. It will not harm the person's body in any way as it moulds into the shape of the wearer. It can also be modified to be built into almost anything. For instance a shoe could have a mini UEC built in or for large scale production it multiple UECs could be set up on an area with frequent footfalls.

The UEC will bring a revolution in the energy sector as the dependence on non-renewable sources will dramatically decrease and people will have a simple and effective way of obtaining energy, at least for daily use. The UEC will also change the way in which energy is distributed since the energy for most of the mobile gadgets will be taken care by the consumer himself. The power accumulated by a person could be used for powering mobile phones, music players, and other similar devices. Also, the fitness centres could create enough energy to meet their electricity requirements. Similarly, in sports a sportsperson could create enough power to manage the equipments he/she uses. Like in football the energy generated by the players could be used for powering the floodlights of the stadium. So, the money that was earlier spent on the development of the mobile power sector could now be spent on springing up new technologies to tap the vast potential in renewable energy. The device, being so portable, will also reach a wider spectrum of consumers. In addition to that it will encourage people to make more physical effort. The concept of "do it while you use it" will become more popular.

For the people living in the parts of the world where availability of all their energy requirements is from traditional sources such as coal and wood the UEC will be a boon. For example in the case of India where the farmers don't get adequate reward for the amount of labour they put in.

The idea behind the UEC is to make the best use of the physical activities that are done by the people. So, like in Africa where most of the young generation is accustomed to rigorous physical training, they would be able to provide electricity to their area on their own. An athlete, after doing his training could store the energy in the UEC and use that energy to provide power for the lights in his/her village for a day at least. Similarly in a country like India, where a farmer works for about 10 hours a day he would not have to care about providing electricity for his family.
leviator 7 / 39  
Your first sentence answers the prompt a bit TOO directly. Maybe you could try starting off in a little more dramatic or eye catching way.

I like the idea of your contraption, but more than just describing it as this utopian device, maybe you should try and suggest some ways you would go about making it happen, make it a little more scientific perhaps? State a principle or law, you are applying to GAtech afterall.

Your ending is bland as well. Add a sentence or to about being hopeful, or making a difference or something like that. :)

Hoep this helps. Good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / 'Ultimate Energy Creator' : If you could invent something what would it be and why?