Ultrasound application essay (reasons for pursuing ultrasound as a career)

kskin1 2 / 2  
Directions for ultrasound applicant essay
No longer than 2 pages.
Discuss reasons for pursuing ultrasound as a career and describe any work or volunteer experience you have in a hospital or clinical setting. Explain how you have developed communication and interpersonal skills that will be helpful as a sonographer. Feel free to elaborate on aspects of your application or academic record which you feel important for the committee to consider.

My grandfather was a strong and stoic man that acquired Parkinson's disease. He had his good days and his not so good days. On the good days he could do anything. He would work around the house or we would go out for breakfast at Northgate Mall. Those were some of my best memories of him. His condition could cause him to change quickly. He would then be down and his body would not do what he wanted it to. He used his wheelchair instead of his walker when this happened. I helped him around the house and took him to the bathroom if he needed to. It was difficult to see him upset and the emotions running on his face because his body would not do cooperate. I was able to help him and do it in a way that he could still keep his dignity.

In addition to Parkinson's my grandfather had a quadruple bypass heart surgery. Maybe with the better technology of today's ultrasound he could have been in less pain by finding any clots earlier. Ultrasound is great for diagnosis and could possibly prevent the need for major surgeries if a clot is found early enough. I remember one time later on at the nursing home. I was holding his hand and he did not remember who I was but was trying to. It was sad to see. Being around my Grandfather has influenced and changed my life. I believe I am more caring because of it and want to help others. I want to have a career in the health field where I will have a beneficial impact on other people's lives. I can be helpful by being a Cardiovascular Ultrasound Technician.

I volunteer at Allenmore Hospital in Tacoma. I help out in the Radiology department on Fridays from 10 am to 2 pm. I enjoy assisting the patients and making sure that they are comfortable. I walk them from the waiting rooms through the exam and back to the waiting room. The patients are all different and I enjoy talking with them to prepare them for their exam. I identify the patient while using HIPAA to protect their rights. I then continue with casual talk to put the patient at ease.

This volunteer work has really helped me develop and practice my interpersonal skills. Interacting with the patients was a little awkward at first but now I am comfortable and like working with the patients. Interacting with patients at the hospital has taught me a lot and will directly apply to my career as an Ultrasound Technician.

I like the work atmosphere in the Radiology Department. The technicians are always learning new things with the continuing education or technology changes. I am able to understand the nature of the job and I am ready to start on the path to becoming an Ultrasound Technician.

I will be a great student for Seattle University. I take the time and effort to get good grades by learning the material. I truly desire to be an excellent Sonographer and will do what it takes to have the career that I want. I am going to be a great Ultrasound Technician with the help of the instructors at Seattle University.

I desire to advance my education and Seattle University gives me the opportunity to do so. Seattle U will provide me with a superior education that will place me at the top of the field in imaging and enable me to help others.

-----
--Please review this and offer suggestions.

Thank you.
Zhiyang 1 / 11  
I think you should start your essay by saying that your reason for pursuing ultrasound as a career originated from your experience with your grandfather. In my opinion, I think this helps to prepare the readers for your description of your grandfather.

Third paragraph, you need to describe what you did in past tense, unless you are still a vounteer there, which then might need a rephrasing.

For the 2nd sentence from the last in the third paragraph, I think you may need to be more clearer. I am not sure about the field you are in, but my understanding of what you wrote is that you are the one examining the patient and then telling him/her whether the patient has some kind of diesease. Even if this what you meant, I think you could be clearer like saying you are the one performing the examination, I think it will make you sound even more experienced.

For the last sentence in the third paragraph, you can rephrase it as "I then continue conversing (casually) with the patient/s to put him/her/them at ease.

"continue with casual talk" sounds weird to me.

I think you should elaborate on your interpersonal skills, while I may not know what is relevant, I will just give examples of usual things like tact or patience (I can only think of these 2 now after reading your essay)

That's all I can think of at the moment, hope they are useful to you. Good Luck on your application!
acquired developed

...to the bathroom if he needed to help.

...face because his body would not do cooperate. I was able to help him and do it in a way that he could still enabled him to keep his dignity.

I remember a time later on in his process, at the nursing home, when I was holding his hand and he did not remember who I was -- but he was trying to.

I will be a great student for Seattle University. I take the time and effort to get good grades by learning the material. I truly desire to be an excellent Sonographer and will do what it takes to have the career that I want.------ this stuff is powerful writing. Your confidence is impressive! I think you'll do very well.

Home / Undergraduate / Ultrasound application essay (reasons for pursuing ultrasound as a career)