UMich - Engineering short answer

Beast53 5 / 6  
College of Engineering Please describe your interests and aspirations in engineering. What experiences have influenced you?

Ever since I was a toddler, I have always wondered how things work. I had a habit of dismantling random objects and attempting to reassemble it.

I started with little things: keyboards, TV remotes, and the like. Eventually, I progressed to bigger things like VCR's and my PlayStation.
While I had many successful attempts at reassembling, I had bad experiences with a toaster and a watch. It really upset me when I could not figure out why my toaster would not heat up my pop tarts anymore.

As seventh grade came around, I started to get bored with home appliances and I started looking for something else to tinker with. I finally realized that I had not messed around with my computer yet. It baffled me that I spend hours on a computer each day, yet not until now have I wondered what makes a hard drive go round.

I immediately grabbed a screwdriver and went straight to work.
I will never forget my first glance inside a computer when that lid popped off. It was like love at first sight. I was intrigued by all the colorful parts inside, and it fascinates me how these parts when put together can perform countless functions.

Soon after putting the lid back on, I booted the computer right back up and spent the next few hours on the net studying each component of a computer.

Two years later, I regularly get asked for computer assistance, not to mention I can build a computer to boot in under a half hour.

Thanks!
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good afternoon :)

As you did not describe what kind of assistance you were seeking, I have made some general comments about the piece.

First, make sure that your subjects and verbs agree. For instance, in your first sentence you use the plural subject noun of "things" but the singular "it." Instead, it should be the plural pronoun "them."

Second, make sure you are capitalizing all plural nouns; "pop tarts" should be capitalized.

In regards to content, it is a fitting response to the prompt; you acknowledge all of the pieces of the question. Good work!

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com

Home / Undergraduate / UMich - Engineering short answer