UMich Setback: Freshman year grades

pprajoth 6 / 15  
Until 8th grade, I was a straight A student, coasting through middle school with my raw intelligence and minimal efforts into school work. I had a sense of accomplishment with my academic performance. With this confidence, I applied to the Academy of Math, Science and Engineering, a magnet school. Fully aware of the academic rigor of this program, I assumed a little extra hard work would be enough for me to succeed.

A few weeks into this program, I came to a shocking realization that relying solely on intelligence was not enough to receive good grades. I began losing my academic foothold. A's fell to B's and C's and in a few classes, I was barely over the passing grade. I knew what I was doing was not enough, but had no idea how to do it right. The position began to deteriorate with my losing confidence in myself. I even contemplated moving back to a regular high school and start all over again. Stuck in this predicament, I ended freshman year with a very low GPA.

Although the odds were stacked against me, I entered sophomore year determined to put the bad start behind me. After some introspection, it dawned on me that so far in my academic life, I have not built a strong work ethic. I did not realize that hard work and organized approach were just as important for success as intelligence was. I decided to fight back by reorienting my work approach. Work organization, time management and prioritization are some of the study skills I have incorporated in my work.

Applying this newly developed work ethic into my studies, I started getting results and continued an upward progression thereafter. I decided to bring the passion in my studies and pursue the course curriculum which is consistent with my long term career goals. Given my handicap of bad grades in freshman year, the easy solution could have been to select less challenging courses which ensure high grades. Instead I took three AP courses and with the work ethic I adapted, was able to pass with high honors in my junior year.

My rebound from a poor freshman year has instilled in me a good work ethic, giving me the confidence that I can handle higher academic challenges.

This setback early in my life, taught me valuable lessons on the value of hard work, focus and passion in work. The experience of bouncing back from failure matured me and even given me confidence to face uncertainties of future and spring back. Another valuable lesson I learned is not to be burdened by the past and make a fresh beginning. As my dad used to say "Today is the first day of rest of my life."

I need help with the essay overall. Is the essay too impersonal? Any suggestions (global or local) is welcome. Thanks =]
vladr72492 1 / 2  
very strong essay. me likey but i have just one qualm

< I entered sophomore year determined to put the bad start behind me>

"to put the bad start behind me" doesn't sound very fluid. that is all. good stuff.
srandhawa 10 / 157  
i dont like the topic of this essay, its usually best to write about something that is relatively recent and colleges can see your transcript and your rebound and understand alot about you, i wouldn't dedicate a whole essay to how you improved, i would rather just write about other personalities and other character traits and these will show themselves in your improved grades. Also, this is very typical essay, lots of kids are going to say they got bad grades but then with focus, passion and hard work improved them and realized something along the lines that today is the last day of their lives, theres nothing that stands out about this essay, and the conclusiosn you make are nothing special either. I know the essay is due very soon so you might not have enough time to completely redo the essay, and in that case I would just redoe the conclusions and stuff i learned off this incident. I do like the first para though, if you decide to stick with this essay, youre not in as bad shape as im making it out to be, but you def. want to change somethings.
EF_Team [Moderator] 41 / 222 15  
pprajoth,

You started a new thread on the same subject (you should have continued in the original subject).

Pending suspension.

EF

Home / Undergraduate / UMich Setback: Freshman year grades