UNC- Best Teacher

ChiHF9009 2 / 2  
Tell us about your best teacher ever—or your toughest, or your worst. What distinguished this teacher from the others you’ve known? (About 250 words)

My first impression of him was tough and old. He had gray hair and stood in front of the classroom rather statue-like, straight face with arms folded. But within only a month, I noticed his personable character. My Latin teacher Mr. Pendrick is the only teacher who would ask "what’s up?" instead of "how are you?" in the hallway and while he walks his dog around town. In class he would often crack a satirical joke to brighten up the atmosphere. I can always remember him rhetorically asking a student, “watching the grass grow?” when the student is looking out at the window mindlessly.

He is the most reliable teacher in the school. He followed his daily plans precisely, as if he had calculated every single minute of his actions. He graded tests within a day, even when he had to teach college classes for his other profession. Mr. Pendrick also presented himself as a scholar of other subject areas in his class. He has taught more grammar rules than my English teacher, solved computer problems without having to ask the media specialist, and discussed biology, history, math, Greek, music, soccer and various other subjects to entertain his students while teaching Latin and Roman cultures to students. Just as colleges fancy well-rounded students in their school, I also admire a teacher who is well rounded in all areas.

Unfortunately I could not take Latin IV with him this year, but by the time I say “vale”(goodbye) at graduation, I will be sure to tell him that he is my most memorable high school teacher.

Any constructive criticisms or comments would be greatly appreciated.
memelia 1 / 2  
In the second paragraph, you might want to stay in the present tense:

He followed [follows] his daily plans precisely, as if he has calculated/ is calculating every...

He graded [grades] tests within a day, even when he had [has] to teach...

Mr. Pendrick also presented [presents] himself....

My take on this is because Mr. Pendrick is a real and living person.
joke0611 5 / 18  
this is really good
i wish i had this teacher
i have this one physics teacher who we all know is really smart but he's not the best at teaching the material and he has the worst grammar when giving us the notes

i know it's only physics, but it gets kind of confusing when I go back to review my notes
My first impression of him was that he was tough and old. He had gray hair and stood in front of the classroom in a way that was rather statue-like, straight face with arms folded. But within only a month, I noticed his personable character. My Latin teacher Mr. Pendrick is the only teacher who would ask "What 's up?" instead of "How are you?" in the hallway and while he walks his dog around town. In class he would often crack a satirical joke to brighten up the atmosphere. I can always remember him rhetorically asking a student, "Watching the grass grow?" when the student is looking out at the window mindlessly.

And the second paragraph is very good! You answered the prompt well! :)

Home / Undergraduate / UNC- Best Teacher