Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

UNC Supplement-Design your own course prompt. "journey into mystery"

lehrling12 2 / 5 1  
If you could design and teach your own course, what topic would you cover? What texts, assignments, projects, field trips, or other resources would you use in teaching this course?

The new course will be called, "The Journey into Mystery". It is going to be about an aspect that is incoherent in many people. The Journey into Mystery is where student will be aided in understanding themselves. A famous psychiatrist, Thomas Szasz, had said, "People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But the self is not something one finds, it is something one creates." I believe that the self can't be discovered when there is nothing to discover. My course will help students develop their own identity and self.

In present times, it is obvious that a large portion of youth is heavily swayed by outside forces. These influences could be students being forced through their academics because of parents, doing whatever your friends want to do when you hang out, and the pressure of the social norm. While some people do break away from this and form their own identity, others simply go with the flow and regret not exploring their own interests many years later. Yet, these people do not bother to explore it by their own and need stimuli. I want to help them search for properties that will build up their own unique self.

On the first day of the course, I will ask each student about what present interests or hobbies they already participate in. If it's something as common as "listening to music" or "hanging out with friends", I'm going to inquire them a bit more, since I know many people answer like this because they do not have any present interests they take part in. Then, I will be asking each of them about the interests they have but have not undertaken. These two steps will be the hardest part of the whole course because many people will either not open up or they will just not know what they are interested in. However, the first work is to be conducted with the interests that are already known.

For each day, I will be picking one hobby or interest, and I will bring the whole class in to participate in it. This participation can be in any form, whether it's going to a musical or reading about Greek philosophy. Letting the individual who possesses the interest experience this, creates an aspect of his personal life. Allowing the whole class to take part in it constructs a sense of community to help some of the students open up their own areas of enthusiasm. Also, another student could become enticed by said interest and build up their own identity through it. At the end of each day, I will ask for new interests to each student.

There will be weekly assignments for the students to write about something they learned about one of their peers. I will be picking who each student is going to write about. This may seem irrelevant to developing one's self, but how is anybody to discover themselves when they aren't able to understand others in the slightest? That is why community within the class is important in honestly representing yourself. These assignments will lead to a final paper about each student's self. They will be writing about what they have learned about themselves. It could be about anything they learned of themselves.

After the course, they will have discovered themselves through their own means. They would each have built their own unique identity. This would be without the interference of outside pressures because they opened up. Now, when they are told to talk about themselves, they would know exactly what to say.

------------------------------------

Please be as critical as possible and point out any grammar mistakes.
Thank you.

Home / Undergraduate / UNC Supplement-Design your own course prompt. "journey into mystery"