'unconventional essay prompts' - why uchicago essay

myjeselle 4 / 3  
"You're doing it wrong," my classmate scolded me. I embarrassingly looked down at my artwork in a shameful silence. I failed again. Although my ostentatious 64-pack of newly sharpened Crayola crayons was able to dazzle my peers, it was unable to cure my inability to color inside the boundary lines of my coloring page. Similar to my classmate, society has reprimanded thinking and acting against standard norms, including coloring outside the lines. Bored with the status quo, I yearned for something more. Then I stumbled upon the University of Chicago.

At UChicago, there are no lines. Nowhere else can I find a college with unconventional essay prompts such as "don't write about reverse psychology" or one that has a "50-foot robot" for a librarian. The quirkiness of the university comforts my eccentric side like a warm blanket. "At UChicago, you are more than your gpa and test scores." These words hit me like a ton of bricks. Throughout my academic career, I have been identified through numbers, whether it is a rank or a social security number. Finding a college that actually considers me as a person sets UChicago apart from the others. Not only am I pushed to think, I am encouraged to have fun with the college process. At UChicago, I can happily broaden my horizons and grow intellectually. Not only can I face a rigorous curriculum, I can participate in UChicago's renowned scavenger hunt. At UChicago, where originality is encouraged, I can finally color freely.
ariawashere 2 / 5  
Good job :) I really liked it!
OP myjeselle 4 / 3  
thank you so much!
kenneth1001 1 / 10  
this essay is great! :)
not only you did research on this campus, but also your essay reveals who you are.
Best of Luck! :)
leviator 7 / 39  
Very personal attempt. I think it's very well written.

Only thing that's bothering me is the ending. The second last and the last sentence come a little abruptly. Try working on the transition a bit to make it smoother. Write about your general view of the University, or something of the sort, before concluding it right after the part about the scavenger hunt.

Good luck :-)
tizila002 - / 1  
wow! i love your essay!...it speaks very nicely about who you are as a person.and also shows that you have done your research well. but one thing i didnt like was the length of the essay.i would have liked had it been a little more lengthy,but again its just my opinion.

pls review my essay too
phhai 7 / 25  
Ah I think the latter is a bit abstract . :-|. After all I think you should focus on some characteristic of your own.
It is a few hour before the deadline, so you should check the grammar and minor mistakes
ItsokaytoGaga 15 / 96  
Hi Jeselle!

Your "Why UChicago" essay is really well written. :) It shows succinctly why you want to be there.

Your second essay is very abstract. But an intelligent reader would see how smart and insightful you are. Though I'm not really sure if you need to just write to given prompt or even try to portray your personality with your writing (which you do with your first essay anyhow). Either way, it's very well written. Your essay has a sort of dark tone to it which leaves me intrigued. :)

Good job and good luck!

PLEASE check my common app, and also my supplemental essays for Williams, Bowdoin and ConnColl. Thanks a lot! :)
ninjahatori 3 / 13  
Is the deadline today?

I have read several Uchicago essays that got in. Many of them do not really relate to the applicant directly. They just want to know how you think.

Overall, I think your essay is quite strong.
m7md 4 / 16  
i really like how you start of you essays however i think the first one needs a little editing. try including something more specific and unique about uchicago only. when the admossion folks ask questions like "why ..." they are asking you to write about something in their university that excites you that is not anywhere else. your essay is great and everything but if you substitute uchicago in your essay by university of minnesota for example it will still have the same meaning so its not very specific to chicago . try editing it so that if you change chicago to any other university it will affect the essay

hope that helps and thank yuou for reviewing my essay
OP myjeselle 4 / 3  
thanks! but can someone please help me check for grammatical errors?

Home / Undergraduate / 'unconventional essay prompts' - why uchicago essay