'as undeclared' - University of Illinois Transfer Essay

mreese92 1 / -  
Hi everyone. I'm looking to transfer to the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign. As of now, I am a freshman at Marquette University and I was admitted into the nursing program. Everyone says it is such an honor, but really, I hate it here. I don't feel welcomed and I now feel that nursing is not for me. I want to attend the university of illinois as undeclared. I will explore my options and hopefully choose a major by my sophomore year. For the application I need an essay of 300 words and I'm stuck at what to write. It needs to be creative but also make the school want me. Here's the question: Explain your motivation to transfer from your current /former institution to Illinois and how you academic interests or and professional goals will be fulfilled in your intended program of study.

If anyone could help me start it, that would be superb.
tehfunkicookie 19 / 50  
hi mreese92. The purpose of many of these college essays, whether it would be for ungrad, grad, or transfer, is for the university to get to know you more. You probably heard that phrase 1000 times but you might have to do a little research on the college and how it relates to your desires, goals, hobbies,etc... For example, i'm applying to Duke and Michigan Ann Arbour. Duke has multiple study abroad programs like Shanska that would really help me develop my airplane design skills. Although Shanska isn't a airplane company, its the most prestigious and recommended by students at Duke. With Michigan Ann Arbour, there are multiple research opportunities to work in astro labs or airplane companies/industries. How i link my hobbies and desires with the school's curriculum and opportunities for real hand on experience makes my essay more personal. (WHICH IS REALLY IMPORTANT!!) So make sure you look at Illinois offers you! Make it sound professional so that they know you're ready to work and think on an advanced level. Mention specific ones or explain a little bit on how that program or this class will help you succeed in your goals or in the future. Put your thoughts and emotions in this essay to make it sound more unique because there are 100000000 generic answers about succeeding in life or wanting more education. Thats all i have to say! Good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / 'as undeclared' - University of Illinois Transfer Essay