The underdog doesn't only win in fictional feel-good teen movies, sometimes it happens in real life

anservis 1 / -  
If you recall your high school years, chances are you can pick out one person that was always one step ahead of you.

Whether it was your best friend or your worst enemy, they were there. In my case, it was my best friend, January Hammerberg. (I didn't make her up, that's actually her name) When I tried out for volleyball and softball, she tried out for softball,cross country, and basketball. I joined student council, she ran for president. My grades were finally good enough to be eligible for Honor Roll, she won Valedictorian. I could go on for pages just talking about these 'coincidences', but that isn't what this essay is about. Needless to say standing next to her, I was a side note. In addition, we were both nominated for Homecoming Queen, and you could guess it, she won. I can't say that one broke my heart though, my personality is by no means the cookie cutter Homecoming Queen. Where she is friendly, personable, and charming, I am sarcastic, cynical, and awkward. Regardless the circumstance in my four years of high school, she had a better place in it than I; specifically at the end of the year Awards Banquet. The faculty give out athletic and academic awards to upper classmen that they feel deserve it. Here are some examples of the awards: "Social Science Award" "Foreign Language Award" "Student-Athlete of the Year". With each award came a speech from the person presenting it to the student receiving it, it goes without saying that the night could've been simply called "January-Fest" and no one would have known the difference. We crawled into the third hour of the banquet and I was undeniably fed up. There is a point where you stop being proud of your friend and you can't help but be filled with envy. My patience was gone and I reached that point. The night was finally coming to an end and I could not have been happier. The athletic director of my school comes onto the stage and announced that they have one final award, he then starts his speech about an athlete. Before tuning him out, I heard him mention ice hockey, then it hits me, he was talking about me! They had created an award just for me because I had been selected to the Illinois All-State Hockey team two years in a row and chosen for the Chicago Blackhawks All-Star team. Not only did they give me an award, they gave me a plaque and a hockey stick signed by the entire Chicago Blackhawks team to hang in my very own display case at my school. The underdog doesn't only win in fictional feel-good teen movies, sometimes it happens in real life, and when it does, it feels great.

any feedback is good feedback! thank youuuuu
sarthakjain 19 / 58  
the essay is good, you had lot to work with but i feel that it can a little more personal touch about your feelings and you can cut on the parts where you talk about what your friend won. otherwise nice essay.

Home / Undergraduate / The underdog doesn't only win in fictional feel-good teen movies, sometimes it happens in real life