UF- UNDERGRAD ESSAY! Any advice would be great.

linamlo 1 / -  
In the space provided, please write a concise narrative in which you describe a meaningful event, experience or accomplishment in your life and how it will affect your college experience or your contribution to the UF campus community. You may want to reflect on your ideas about student responsibility, academic integrity, campus citizenship or a call to service.

The day I transferred high schools, my life changed. Sophomore year I was caught up with friends and wanting to have fun at all times. As a 15 year old in my second year of high school, I was too young to be thinking about my future. I wasn't keeping in mind that everything I did in high school would contribute to what my future would look like. Therefore meaning I wasn't focused on school. My parents would tell me to focus more in school and not on my social life. I did not get along with my parents at the time and this affected them. Little did I know my parents were stressed out because we had lost the house and on top of that, the family business my dad and uncle had established 10 years ago went under. My dad suggested I should switch schools because I wasn't focused. Turning down this offer was what I really wanted, but deep down I knew my parents were doing this for my benefit because the high school I was in was not doing academically well.

Changing schools was a reality check for me. I no longer wanted to go out all the time and I wanted to do better in school. The new school I enrolled into is ranked as one of America's best high schools and their Bio-Medical program is one of the best. I took more responsibility for myself and was forced to mature. I started shadowing a PA (physician assistant) in a doctor's office which was a great hands-on experience. I learned how to take vitals, read patient charts, understand medical terminology, and talk to patients. This experience led me to start volunteering at Baptist Hospital located in Miami, Florida. In the summer of my junior year I was one of the 60 out of 200 applicants that were accepted into the Health Career Academy held by Baptist Health South Florida. The Health Career Academy is about high school students being given the opportunity to be exposed to a variety of careers in healthcare for a week. In this program I learned patient care skills and I was exposed to one of the most advanced human simulators being used in medical schools.

One of the most wonderful experiences I had in this program was being able to watch a surgery in the operating room. Chills ran up my spine as I changed into the bright green scrubs to enter the operating room to see the doctor perform a rotator cuff surgery. Also, I unfortunately experienced a "code blue" which is used to indicate a patient requiring resuscitation and immediate medical attention and I got to see how different departments work together. Starting in November, I will be part of a program called Honors Executive Internship Program which allows me to incorporate an internship at West Kendall Baptist Hospital with my school schedule.

All these experiences have made me realize that my passion is to help others and contribute to my community. I will be able to contribute to the UF community the skills I have developed over the years of experience in the medical field.
tannerazm 1 / 5  
Dont stop til you hit the top without getting caught by the cop and dont pop until you crop your sop in the rop and the wop!

Home / Undergraduate / UF- UNDERGRAD ESSAY! Any advice would be great.