Understanding the universe/ Columbia Sup; Area of interest

saubau95 3 / 3 1  
Any and all help is appreciated.

For applicants to Columbia College, please tell us what from your current and past experiences (either academic or personal) attracts you specifically to the field or fields of study that you noted in the Application Data section. If you are currently undecided, please write about any field or fields in which you may have an interest at this time.

At Regis High School, junior year has amassed a sort of hyperbolic lore among students. This reputation is mostly due to the inclusion of physics in the year's curriculum. Notoriously demanding and tedious, physics is the bane of every junior's life. Having excelled and relished in my science classes in past years, I felt nervous in junior year I wouldn't fare the same.

Fortunately, the class exceeded my expectations. Granted, physics challenged me, but I found myself fascinated by the subject. I enjoyed the work despite its rigor and my initially mediocre performance. My interest in physics encouraged me to study harder and helped me to eventually excel in the class and even led me to take the advanced course this year.

To this day I am amazed at how the same principles I use to find how fast a pendulum swings apply to the atoms that make up my body. Physicists have spent centuries experimenting and calculating to formulate this framework for understanding the universe. This notion both astounds me and inspires me to do the same.

Spending an hour perplexed by a basic problem and then finally arriving at the answer, I still feel like some kind of genius. In class, when the teacher applies some remarkably clever trick to show us the solution to a really devious problem, I feel a kind of nerdy bliss. In moments like these, my teacher would finish writing the answer, turn to the class, and proclaim to the few students who weren't sleeping, "poetry." I couldn't help but agree.
Bighall 3 / 18 1  
I think it is a decent essay. But it would be more impressive to add some academic achievements.

Home / Undergraduate / Understanding the universe/ Columbia Sup; Area of interest