'Unexciting homework' - Common Application Activity Essay

Andrea09 3 / 5  
I am a tutor. I tutor ESL students after school. I help them with their homework. To be honest, when I was approached to tutor, I had no interest. My first thought was "Why would I voluntarily do more homework than I already have to?" I agreed, however, and am very glad that I did. I know that to most, spending an afternoon going over trigonometric functions, or trying to explain why neighbor is spelled the way it is, doesn't sound like fun. I would have to disagree to a point. Sure, homework is not as exciting as going to a football game, but these students are some of the most interesting people that I know. They come from such diverse backgrounds, and have a hunger for learning that I rarely see among my own friends. Spending two hours a week is easy.

please be as critical as possible, as this is an EXTREMELY rough first draft thanks :)
OP Andrea09 3 / 5  
The prompt on this one is: elaborate on one of your activities in 150 words or less
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
I believe that your essay answers the prompt quite nicely. Good work.
OP Andrea09 3 / 5  
Opinions?

I am applying through the Common Application and there is an essay that is sent to all schools, as I am sure you know.
I was thinking of doing either "Describe an issue of local, national, or international importance and its importance to you" and talking about ignorance, or "Evaluate a significant experience, achievement, risk, or ethical dilemma you have faced and its impact on you" and talking about my struggle to get my license (not a very significant experience, but I think it illustrates persistence in my personality, because it took me four tries :))

Is there one way that would possibly be better, etc? I feel taht I could write proficiently about either, but the second would be more personal perhaps.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good morning.

Well, this boils down to what you feel you can answer more in a way that puts a good light on you. In other words, which one can you answer more easily, more eloquently, more clearly, and that shows you for the best you that you can put forward :) ?

The first could portray you as an individual as a well-rounded global individual; the other gives you a chance to talk about your strengths and how those strengths can benefit the campus. In the end, it is which one you feel more comfortable with.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com

Home / Undergraduate / 'Unexciting homework' - Common Application Activity Essay