Q/A for my Uni admission (applied for neuroscience)

mbafa3 1 / -  
I'm applying to U of T. They have some questions, 3 of which I have posted the answers to here. Please proofread and advise me as to how I can further better my answers. Your help is appreciated.

All require: 100 words or less

What is your favourite subject and why? (98 words)

I have been fascinated with biology from the day I learnt it was a subject in its own right. It captivates me as to how everything around us, from creatures that are tinier than specks to mammoths such as elephants and colossal objects like mountains are all intertwined. Through studying biology, I have a new profound respect for the way each singular interaction between a species allows for life to go on. I find the subject to also be extremely mind-stimulating, as you need to bring in knowledge acquired from other subjects- such as chemistry- to understand it.

Why are you interested in this program? (94 words)

Fundamentally the core of a persons existence, and yet understanding it takes more than a lifetime. The brain is the maestro behind our survival. Ever since I was a child, I have been astounded and perplexed by its miracle. Through the aid of biology, I have come closer to understanding the way it works. They say to follow your passion, and by studying biology I have found it. It has become my aspiration to figure out and discover the boundless tiny workings of our brain that make us who we are, make us unique.

What experiences and skills might you bring to this field? (96 words)

In the summer of 2010, I joined a team my uncle put together to help out victims that were affected by the floods in Pakistan. I helped by giving out rations and due to a short supply of people, I had to perform basic medical procedures, such as disinfecting wounds. Despite prior training, I learnt really fast. Through that experience, I discovered that I had the capacity to adapt really fast, and grow into the situation if needed be. I learned how to communicate, albeit through gestures, with people who spoke no common tongue with me.

Thank You for your help :)
dtd514 1 / 2  
I have been fascinated with biology from the day I learnt it was a subject in its own right.I have always found biology fascinating. It captivates me as to how everything around us, from creatures that are tinier than specks to mammoths such as elephants and colossal objects like mountains are all intertwined. Through studying biology, I have a new profound respect for the way each singular interaction between a species allows for life to go on. I find the subject to also be extremely mind-stimulating, as you need to bring in knowledge acquired from other subjects- such as chemistry- to understand it.Biology is challenging in that it requires the use of knowledge from all different subjects

The Brain. Fundamentally the core of a persons existence, and yet understanding it takes more than a lifetime. The brain is the maestro behind our survival. Ever since I was a child, I have been astounded and perplexed by its miracle. Through the aid of biology, I have come closer to understanding the way it works. They say to follow your passion, and by studying biology I have found it. It has become my aspiration to figure out and discover the boundless tiny workings of our brain that make us who we are, make us unique.

In the summer of 2010, I joined a team my uncle put together to help out victims that were affected by the floods in Pakistan. I helped by giving out rations and due to a short supply of people, I had to perform basic medical procedures, such as disinfecting wounds. Despite prior training, I learnt really fast . Through that experience, I discovered that I had the capacity to adapt really fast , and grow into the situation if needed be. I learned how to communicate, albeit through gestures, with people who spoke no common tongue with me.

Not sure entirely what you were trying to say at "Despite prior training, I learnt really fast". It seems like it would either be "Because of prior training..." or "Despite poor training..."

In general, my advice to you would be not to get so caught up in the words. Colleges are looking for someone who can clearly communicate an idea, and bring enthusiasm. Strong words are better than fancy ones.

Home / Undergraduate / Q/A for my Uni admission (applied for neuroscience)