BU UNI Supplement - Why BUÉÉ + Why Program!

Zayniac 2 / 5  
Students consider many different factors when applying to college. Briefly discuss who or what influcenced your decision to apply to Boston University.

My first brush with Boston University came when my guidance counsellor suggested that BU was an ideal fit for my interests in the field .When a representative from the university came to visit my school, Upper Canada College, I became even more interested in what the university had to offer me, and these two steps were my diving board into the Boston University universe. From my initial plunge, I began to realize more and more that Boston University was my perfect match.

Boston University fits me (like a flipper?) in more ways than one. The first is perhaps the most important - the program. Ever since I was ten, I have been fascinated by the different methods of advertising, and its effects on what we/people buy, and how we think about certain products. In this light, Boston University's Department of Mass Communication, Advertising & Public Relations is my ideal program. With modules such as Persuasion and Public Opinion, and Design in Communication, Boston University is the one university with the program that seems custom-made to my interests.

Swimming deeper into the lake of information about Boston University and its surroundings, I also came to realize that the city of Boston is the foremost city where I could see myself spending the next four years of my life - if not more. I have always considered Boston Toronto's cousin in the south. Though I will never like the Red Sox, in my research I realized the vibrant and diverse nature of Boston reminded me of Toronto, yet was different enough that the upcoming years will be fresh and exciting, with an entire unique city at my feet ready to be explored.

Each time, after swimming to the surface after researching, I realize how much time as inadvertently passed - time which I have never regretted spending. The research has made it clearer to me the opportunities that Boston University holds for me, with academics, internships, and more. With a great program to look forward to, I can't wait to take my first steps into the ocean of Boston University this fall!

What experiences have led you to select your professional field and objective?

Advertising has always fascinated me. Ever since I was ten years old, I would look at billboard advertisements; observe their design, notice when they changed, and the general patterns which flickered throughout the city. I always made sure to keep my bemused parents abreast of the changes in the advertisement on the billboard at our closest intersection, and even observed how when one company in a particular field started advertising, all its rivals did too. I noticed back then how prevalent beer advertisements quickly became, and the use of scantily clad models - much to my own bemusement. Since then, my interests have expanded to other forms of advertising, such as television commercials, and product placements. My interest in television commercials began when I started to learn about film in grade eight. As I learned the tricks of the video camera, and the different techniques that film makers used, I began to look for these in the commercials which I saw on television, and from watching them, learned how the techniques could be employed to create an alluring end product

It was the love of both films and advertising which finally had me study movies to see not only the different camera effects used, but also how advertising was integrated into these films. I started to notice the different product placements in movies, and how these affected my thoughts about those products. Even just recently, for example, when I saw the movie, I realized that through the protagonist of the movie using an Apple iPod, my own thoughts of iPods became more favourable.

All my experiences, ever since I started to observe billboard advertisements seven years ago, have geared me towards wanting to learn as much as I can about the advertising field, and to go into advertising. To be able to have such a large impact on people is a privilege - and it my objective to go into the field of advertising not only to sell products, but to do so in a way that consumers find enjoyable. My objective is also to study with the department of Mass Communication, Advertising & Public Relations at Boston University - as through all my research, it is the single program which seems at once the most relevant to my interests, and the most interesting, period.
My first brush with Boston University came when my guidance counselor suggested that BU was an ideal fit for my interests in the field.
You should specify what field here^.

Since I was ten, I have been fascinated by the different methods of advertising, and their effects on what we/people buy, and how we think about certain products.

In this light, Boston University's Department of Mass Communication, Advertising & Public Relations is my ideal program. With modules such as Persuasion and Public Opinion, and Design in Communication, Boston University is the one university with the programs that seem custom-made to my interests.

It was the love of both films and advertising, which finally had me study movies to see not only the different camera effects used, but also how advertising was integrated into these films.

Just recently , for example, when I saw a movie, I realized that the protagonist of the movie was using an Apple iPod, and my own thoughts of iPods became more favorable.

Hope this helps!

:)
heartdews - / 3  
hey what a coincidence! i love looking at ads and i'm applying to BU as well :)

Home / Undergraduate / BU UNI Supplement - Why BUÉÉ + Why Program!