'unique approach to education' - Northwestern Essay

Infinity 3 / 10  
What are the unique qualities of Northwestern - and of the specific undergraduate school to which you are applying - that make you want to attend the University? In what ways do you hope to take advantage of the qualities you have identified?

There are many aspects of Northwestern that make it a perfect university: stellar academics, a gorgeous waterfront campus, quirky traditions like painting the Rock, division I sports teams to rout for. However, it is the McCormick School of Engineering's unique approach to education that is the greatest lure to me. McCormick has a commitment to not only teach the technical and analytical aspects of engineering but also creative and divergent thinking through a "whole brain" education. I know this whole brain thinking will be essential to become an inventor and innovator rather than a simple drone.

McCormick teaches its whole brain education with a variety of ways complete unique to Northwestern. Hands-on engineering is one such way. Northwestern students are taken take out of the classroom extremely early in their college career. While students at other universities have to wait until their senior year or even grad school to work on a major project, Northwestern students are given one during their freshman year. Through McCormick's Engineering Frist program, I will be able to take the theoretical knowledge I gained in class and apply to a real engineering problem for a real company. Through Northwestern various internships, co-ops and undergraduate research, I will have even more chances to do hands on engineering work.

Another way is through a truly broad education. At other engineering schools a broad education simply could be exposing students to the various subfields in a discipline or another branch of engineering. At McCormick however, I would be able to learn across several fields of study and colleges as if I was at a liberal arts college. This is especially important to me as a computer science major since my field cross with other disciplines so often.

Northwestern functions as more than simple place of learning. For four years, it will serve as my home and where I meet new friends. It is this purpose of college that attracts me to Northwestern expansive resident college system. The Slivka College of Science and Engineering excites me particularly. Slivka attracts students with similar interests in engineering, science, and technology as me which makes it a perfect place to meet new friends, find a teammate from Northwestern Design Competition, or start up a conversation up quantum mechanics. Slivka is more than a collection of nerds living together though; it is a tightknit community bounded by shared experiences. Slivka sponsors hundreds of events for its members ranging from lunches to tailgates to dances to movie nights. Slivkans participate in these events to maintain their membership which guarantees that the 130 residents of Slivka Hall share common memories. These shared experiences create the foundation strong bonds of fellowship between members and form the community of Slivka that attracts to this resident college. The Slivka community extends beyond the undergraduate community as well to include graduate students and professors. These Fellows of the college host fireside lectures, peer to professor lunches, and even seminars for credit available exclusively for Slivkans. In addition to the chance to learn, these Fellow events would allow me to get to know my professors on a more personal level and make the entire college experience more personal. Northwestern offers me the chance to be a part of a tight knit and dedicated community and its one of a kind education will teach me to think and analyze like an engineer. It is truly a perfect college experience.

hey my concerns for this essay are i feel like i am telling them what there school does and provides. any style improvement suggestions would be greatly helpful.

will return favor of course
pjw7109 7 / 23  
Overall, I really like it.
But have you thought of including some kind of a 'hook' in the beginning?

just a suggestion!

good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / 'unique approach to education' - Northwestern Essay