Unique aspect of Lehigh/what subject would you make mandatory?

petemess95 6 / 9 2  
Any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated!
What unique aspect of Lehigh most interests you? (As a guideline, your response should be between 150-250 words.)
What first attracted me to Lehigh was the prestige associated with its name around my school. Every year as graduation would creep closer and closer, the college destinations of all the seniors would slowly become common knowledge among the underclassmen. One name that seemed to come up often was Lehigh, which makes sense considering its propinquity to my high school. I noticed that nearly everyone that would be attending Lehigh were all smart, nice, and generally well-rounded people.

It was because of this that I chose to visit the Lehigh campus when my college search began. As I took my first look at the campus while driving toward the admissions, I was stunned. The abundance of perfectly-green grass combined with beautiful stone buildings was a manifestation of everything I had always imagined a college should look like.

The ensuing information sessions and campus tour all but confirmed that Lehigh was the place for me. To me, one of the most important factors of a college is the average class size. An average class size at Lehigh of 27 means that a lot of classes have less students than I do in my high school now! Class size is so important to me because I believe in a strong relationship between student and teacher. My goal in college is for my teachers to at least match my name to my face by the end of the semester, something that is simply not possible in other schools that have astronomical class sizes.

If you founded your own college or university, what topic of study would you make mandatory for all students to study and why? What would be the values and priorities of your institution and why?

A university founded by myself would require that all students take a computer proficiency course. As somebody considered "tech savvy", I see the limitations on that those who can't sufficiently operate a computer. In this quickly-evolving society, yesterday's "new thing" may be outdated tomorrow. My students will have the advantage of knowing how to successfully utilize all the potential uses of a computer.

Students would be required to learn about the hardware and the software of computers. I've assembled two desktop computers on my own, both of which have always worked without issue. While doing so I learned each component's function within the computer, and now can troubleshoot just about any issue a computer is having. While others experiencing a computer problem may wait days or weeks for another person to fix it, I can erase the middle man and fix it myself.

Being able to use efficiently computer software is essential in the business world. Many jobs require applicants to be proficient in software, like Microsoft Office, to be hired. This software is necessary for making reports, formatting letters, and other tasks that required by many jobs.

The goal of my university is to produce students that are familiar with the current state of technology, and are ready to perform at any job from the day that they graduate. The requirement of a computer course will accommodate this by producing educated persons for this world that is increasingly becoming more and more dependent on technology with each passing day.
What first attracted me to Lehigh was the prestige associated with its name around my school. Every year as graduation would creep closer and closer, the college destinations of all the seniors would slowly become common knowledge among the underclassmen. One name that seemed to come up often was Lehigh

Why not reverse the organization of these ideas? ... I mean, you can start with saying; "One name comes up often when ..."
Then you can say that you are mostly attracted towards its prestigeous reputation.
Try to present every idea having you in the middle because they only want to judge you and what you think : )
I like your first essay very much. You showed why Leigh university made you feel at home.
Very nicely constructed. Maybe you can emphasize a bit more on the teacher student relationship thing because that is unique aspect you are trying to answer the question with.

.... I like the start. And I like the idea of making a computer proficiency course mandatory.

:)
OP petemess95 6 / 9 2  
dumi, what exactly do you mean? It seems like you're presenting a good idea, but I don't understand what you want me to do.

Pahan, thanks!
Didgeridoo - / 306 191  
For your first essay, I think you need to talk less about the prestige (colleges generally don't like to hear that you chose a college just because it was popular) or the beautiful campus and more about some extra-curricular activity or course. Lots of colleges have small class sizes; something more unique would work better.
Hi pete;

Sorry about not giving you a comprehensible comment : ( .... :D

What first attracted me to Lehigh was the prestige associated with its name around my school. Every year as graduation would creep closer and closer, the college destinations of all the seniors would slowly become common knowledge among the underclassmen. One name that seemed to come up often was Lehigh, which makes sense considering its propinquity to my high school.

This is what I suggested;
Every year as graduation would reach closer and closer, the college destinations of all the seniors would be the common topic among the underclassmen. There is one name that seemed to come up quite often and that was "Lehigh". Yes, this is how I got first acquainted with Lehigh and the prestige associated with this name around my school drew my attention to it very seriously.

Home / Undergraduate / Unique aspect of Lehigh/what subject would you make mandatory?