Unique jointly awarded Economics Degree ;Why Carnegie Mellon?

chickpig 9 / 26  
Hi,

Sorry for posting so many essays within a short span of time. This is one of my last few. Thanks for your time (:

Please submit a one-page, single-spaced essay that explains why you have chosen Carnegie Mellon your particular major(s), department(s) or program(s). This essay should include the reasons why you've chosen the major(s), any goals or relevant work plans and any other information you would like us to know. If you are applying to more than one college or program, please mention each college or program you are applying to. Because our admission committees review applicants by college and programs, your essay can impact our final decision. Please do not exceed one page for this essay.

As a student who is very interested in business and economics, I have chosen Carnegie Mellon most importantly for the unique jointly awarded Economics Degree by the Tepper School of Business and the College of Humanities and Social Sciences. Being a student of both colleges would mean that there would be greater room for interdisciplinary learning. It is my belief that multidisciplinary learning would broaden one's perspectives and views and thus enhance the overall learning experience of the individual. As I am interested in immersing myself in an all-rounded education, drawing connections between subjects is very important to me. Hopefully having a holistic view would enhance my critical thinking.

I have chosen to read economics mainly because of my passion in the subject which arose right from my first encounter with the subject in Junior College (JC). I am particularly interested in economics because to me life revolves around economics. Everyday, we see economics and make use of economics, whether in making choices bearing in mind opportunity costs or in the purchase of goods and services involving demand and supply. Economics is a beautiful subject which forms the foundation of how we work, live and play. As such, I am compelled to pursue an economics degree in a university with an award winning economics faculty; Carnegie Mellon is thus a natural choice for me.

"My heart is in the work". My beliefs and values resonate with Carnegie Mellon's motto. As my passion is in serving the community, I intend to pursue an honours programme which would allow me do a thesis with meaningful research that would benefit society. I am interested in looking into the interconnectedness between human geography and economics, particularly in the field of socio-economic disparity. It is my hope that my heart would guide me well in my work for the benefit of others. Additionally, I intend to take the opportunities in Carnegie Mellon to study abroad to have a first-hand idea of economics in various parts of the world. This would definitely enhance my learning experience as international economics is integrated in our globalised world. It is naïve to think that it is possible to truly understand economics by studying the subject within the confines of one country. This programme would thus provide me with a solid foundation in the understanding of the growing interconnectedness of economies and prepare me well for the future.

Very importantly, I have chosen Carnegie Mellon because of the myriad of opportunities available to participate in various forms of student activities. Given my interest and experience in community service, environment and student leadership, I intend to involve myself in the student senate/student dormitory council and the Carnegie Mellon Eco-Reps programme. As I view non-academic activities as equally important as academics, I plan to commit myself to these student organisations and develop the character of others and as well as of mine. I hope to take these organisations to a higher level just as I have done so back in my JC. As the environment becomes an increasingly pertinent global issue, I hope to contribute within my capacity to raise awareness regarding the issue and urge others to follow suit as well.

Finally, Carnegie Mellon attracts me because of its diverse student body. As the world becomes increasingly globalised, it is important for us to be acquainted with the necessary skills set to effectively communicate with people of different cultures, languages and identities. By immersing myself in diversity in Carnegie Mellon, I hope to interact and learn more about other ethnicities and at the same time share with others about myself. As I am a firm believer of having harmony within diversity, I will strive to engage others to foster a sense of togetherness and unity. Carnegie Mellon provides an excellent platform for its students to develop into truly global citizens through the cross-fertilization of ideas.

Therefore, with these reasons and intentions in mind, it is hard not to think that Carnegie Mellon is my ideal university choice.
joshua 3 / 10  
Its a good reflection of the bright fiture you have. You said everything explicitly however i may advise that you check the following:

It is my hope that my heart will not "would" guide me...

Interconnectedness whal, its good but you have just repeated it unnecessarily.

Thanks, Good lucky!!!!!
That's okay, we love your essays!
It is my belief that multidisciplinary learning broadens one's perspective and thus enhances the overall learning experience of the individual.

As I am interested in immersing myself in an all-rounded education, drawing connections between subjects is very important to me. I hope that taking a holistic approac h will enhance my critical thinking.

"My heart is in the work."

As I am a firm believer in the importance of having harmony within diversity, I will strive to engage others to foster a sense of togetherness and unity. Carnegie Mellon provides an excellent platform for its students to develop into truly global citizens through the cross-fertilization of ideas.
OP chickpig 9 / 26  
Thanks for the comments (:

Home / Undergraduate / Unique jointly awarded Economics Degree ;Why Carnegie Mellon?