University of Florida Essay - Senior Patrol Leader - feedback

treesonfire 1 / -  
The app is due today and I would really appreciate any input!

Prompt: In the space provided, please write a concise narrative in which you describe a meaningful event, experience or accomplishment in your life and how it will affect your college experience or your contribution to the UF campus community. You may want to reflect on your ideas about student responsibility, academic integrity, campus citizenship or a call to service.

For roughly as long as I can recall, Wednesday has been a special day. I always knew I had plans. I always knew I had to be somewhere at 7:30PM. I always knew that it was going to make me better, but I did not always know how. I only recently discovered the true value of these Wednesday evenings when I became the Senior Patrol Leader of Boy Scout Troop 492.

It was as you might expect, on a Wednesday night in March. Leadership positions were being shuffled after a six month term. I held the position of a patrol leader, as I have several times in the last few years. The elementary route was to stick to Patrol Leader, simply managing six kids during meetings and campouts. But I wanted something more this time. I was becoming one of what we call 'the old guys' in the troop, being there for so long. I needed to go further.

After weighing the options for a moment, I decided to run for the sovereign position of Senior Patrol Leader. I made the scouts in the troop aware so they could nominate me for the spot before the elections that night. It was a three-way battle for the SPL position, and I knew I had to win. Each of us made a brief election speech on the spot and the voting proceeded. The votes would be tallied and the winner announced at the close of the meeting.

The time came and I was asked to step forward. I proudly did. I knew I was the new Senior Patrol Leader. It was then where I inherited the responsibility of supervising thirty scouts for the next six months. It was my job to call the Scoutmaster, make an agenda, call the patrol leaders, run the weekly meetings, and lead the troop. I soon realized I did not have much of an idea on how to do anything. SPLs usually start out as assistant SPLs, but I went straight for it.

Initially the responsibility felt overwhelming, but I soon got a grip. After a few stressful meetings and campouts, I became accustomed to being the decision maker. I learned to get the attention of obnoxious teens and pre-teens all at once. I learned how to plan and carry out a meeting. I also learned that when something goes wrong, the blame goes to me. I am no chief executive, but I am a great deal closer to one than I was six months ago.

The leadership skill I obtained is something I will own forever. Each day of my life I will only gain more ability. Whether it be executing a group project or conducting a Tau Beta Pi meeting, I am positive that my personal experience will benefit the University of Florida.
MirandaPanda 1 / 1  
Talk more about you as a person and what you would contribute to UF, you went into too much detail about boy scouts and what not. also you might want to consider lengthening your essay.

Home / Undergraduate / University of Florida Essay - Senior Patrol Leader - feedback