University of Georgia Regular decisions application: Check out my college essays! :)

tifflavrisa 1 / -  
University of Georgia Regular decisions application:

The UGA faculty has determined that the student body should demonstrate the qualities listed in the Admissions Philosophy Statement. After reviewing this, help us understand which of your qualities will add value to our community of scholars. (300 Word Limit)

ESSAY 1: 200-300 WORDS

5:43. The only mesmerizing thing about that restaurant was the clock. The hand seemed to tick in slow motion as it hit each black dash around the perfectly white circle. I turned back to my place at the wooden stand continuing to tap my toes on the floor. As an elderly couple made their slow transverse across the room, I grabbed their silverware and menus to sit them at their usual window seat. I came back to the stand, checking the time once more. 5:44. As I mopily perched back on my stand I had a disturbing realization: I had spent the past three months with my eyes glued to that slowly ticking white clock, three months constantly wishing time would go by faster. I was no longer living for myself, I was living for any moment but now. My manager thrust a mop into my hands and nodded at the ladies room, "Looks like some kid had an accident, clean it up." I no longer wanted to live on someone else's time, following someone else's orders, watching someone else's clock rotate around ever so slowly. If I was to continue my life doing only what other people told me to do, I would not be truly living. Time is the only thing that can not be replaced, it is more valuable than any hourly wage. Thus, I quit my job and today I am a seventeen year old entrepreneur. Now, each second of my day is exponentially more fulfilling. I may not be making a steady paycheck every Friday but the end of the week always feels rewarding. When I create jewelry, sometimes I work longer than one of my old 8-hour shifts, but I never once look at the time.

2.Tell us an interesting or amusing story about yourself that you have not already shared in your application.

ESSAY 2: 150-200 WORDS

A cool breeze drifted across the park, pulling my hair along with it on it's eastern path. I chased the wind to meet the rustling leaves of a large live oak, and the group of people who rested under it's dripping moss. As I lowered myself down near a pair of handmade drums, Pepe, a man who spoke very little English, held out his hands "Here, for you." He revealed the most beautiful rose of woven palm fronds. A yip awakened the drums into a tribal beat and I was yanked into dance by one of the travellers. These people were filled with such positive energy that you could forget the rags they wore. Instead of houses, they lived together in tent city; no running water, no transportation, no phones, but they lived in a community so strong that they needed no other foundation. They all knew their neighbors, cared for each other's dogs, fed each other when they had food to share. My Sundays were filled with the humblest of all people, my teachers and my gurus. Here I could take time to appreciate my blessings and join together in the song of humankind.

3.UGA's First Year Odyssey Program offers more than 300 seminar courses for new freshmen. Some examples include "The History of Horseracing", "Einstein and the Theories of Relativity" and "The Zombie Plague" (Full listing here). If you could create your own seminar course at UGA in any subject area that interested you, what would it be? What would the course be named and what would you hope to learn? Please write your response in the style of the UGA First Year Odyssey descriptions as seen on their website.

ESSAY 3: 150-200 WORDS

Life does not just stop and wait for you to be ready after graduation. Many students leave college knowing a lot about their future job and the skills they need to perform, but know little about the daily tasks you must do when living on your own. What if someone could teach you what it takes to be an adult. Imagine if you could enter the real world feeling fully prepared for the obstacles life will throw at you. This seminar will do exactly that. Students will learn a wide variety of grown-up skills including; how to pay their taxes, save for retirement, basic auto and home repair, the cost of raising a child, how to file for health insurance, balance and manage bank accounts, fix a leak, write a check and so on. Adulting 101 is a quick crash course for everything you need to know to be a strong, independent individual. Not only will students learn what to do, but they will learn how to do it most efficiently.
dreykusuma 4 / 9 3  
hi tiff, you have great stories to tell in your essay. However, to strengthen your essay, it would be better if you can explain the value that you gain behind your story.

Essay 1 ask you about your quality that will add value to the scholar community. Reading your essay, the strongest impression that I got is you don't like following someone else's order, live someone else's time, etc. It is more about you rather than the community. Maybe you can explain how an entrepreneur like you would value the scholar community.

The same goes for the essay 2. You need to present the value that you gain from your story more clearly, not just simply a story. Why the people you met is important? how will this influence you to be better?

I hope this can help
Tiffany, I'd like to help in the last essay you have, please find remarks below;

ESSAY 3:

- Adulting 101 is a
- quick( quick - crash course is the same in the sense that they are done in a speedy manner ) crash course
- but they will learn how to do it mostthings efficiently.

There you have it Tiffany, not much modification needs to be done as your essay is somehow written well,
however, I don't see that this answer to the prompt will suffice the needed information on this essay.

I believe you need to be more specific and realistic as well because a crash course to learn all there is to know
in an adult life cannot be dealt with in a crash course.
Remember, the answers to the essays need to be realistic and, as much as you can, keep it as effective as possible
in order to showcase your understanding of the question as well as to the idea that is presented.

I hope my remarks and corrections helps and I wish to your revised essay soon.

Home / Undergraduate / University of Georgia Regular decisions application: Check out my college essays! :)