University of Michigan Supplemental Short Answer

GraceDL 3 / 6  
Any help would be much appreciated!

Describe the unique qualities that attract you to the specific undergraduate College or School (including preferred admission and dual degree programs) to which you are applying at the University of Michigan. How would that curriculum support your interests? (500 words maximum)

Call me an oddball, but I've never held to the belief that our brains are meant to be jammed into too-tight boxes, labeled, and shoved into storage. Like any growing, living entity, they need a wide variety of nourishment and room for exploration to perform at their best. To put it in elementary terms: our minds need brain food.

So, that crowded storeroom of restrained brains? No thanks, I think I'll take that three-course meal. A tantalizing mixture of the rich nuttiness of history, the inherent tang of science, and the saccharine sweet of literature spread out on a deep blue and vibrant yellow table cloth. Bon appĂŠtit!

My taste buds are selective, of course, and I do have a preference of flavors. This is where the University of Michigan's community comes to dinner. Global tastes culminate into a world of cultures that can spice up any dish served. The menu at Michigan is one to beat.

We all have that one dish we keep coming back to on tired nights and frenzied bouts of hunger. Whenever I need a pick-me-up in the middle of the night, I know what I automatically reach for. It has this secret ingredient that instantly boosts my dopamine levels: psychology. The brain fascinates me beyond anything I've studied before. However, I'd like to stick my finger in a lot of pies at the University of Michigan. If I don't put some variety in my diet, even my favorite food might lose its significance.

Totally different ingredients can bring out a side of each other that you wouldn't have detected before, and I think that the skills and knowledge I gain from my assorted courses will help me in the future. I will be equipped no matter what career or lifestyle I so choose. This is why the University of Michigan's College of Literature, Science, and the Arts is an ideal hunting ground for my inquisitive mind. The curriculum of the College and its strong emphasis on research is where I can direct my curiosity to soak up knowledge that's as unique as I am. Hands-on work and immersion into a multitude of subjects is what I'm craving from my education. The University seems to have that concept realized and refined. So let me bring my eclectic tastes to the University of Michigan. Let me engage in my academic inklings and bring forth my surplus of snoopiness. Hopefully I can momentarily satiate my appetite.
linmark 2 / 328 7  
Hello Grace,
Nice food imagery - whets the appetite. But aside from variety (specifically history, science, literature in second paragraph), you barely touched on your sempre fidelis, pick-me-up, secret ingredient (analogies don't quite jive there) - psychology. I would have liked to read more on that to sharpen the focus on what makes you a worthy undergrad candidate. I am not sure your mind's desire for a buffet of gastronomic delights (global tastes???) would cut the pie for the admissions office. Just sticking in your finger without really desiring all of the pie may not be a strong selling point. Same goes for your last line on satiating your appetitve. Again, aside from a hungry brain wanting variety with a late nite snack of psychology, we don't really get a strong "appetite" for what you have to offer...

Hope this helps!!

Home / Undergraduate / University of Michigan Supplemental Short Answer