University of Pennsylvania: most interest you / favorite Penn professor

Aleksey 3 / -  
Describe the courses of study and the unique characteristics of the University of Pennsylvania that most interest you. Why do these interests make you a good match for Penn? (7900 Characters)

The world needs leaders and pioneers who are innovative, bold, knowledgeable and confident in their skills and purpose. The programs offered at Wharton mold the future leaders of this nation through its flexible and unique concentrations and stimulating environment. I find the Entrepreneurial and Finance concentrations to be the most interesting and important foundations for the future contributors to the nation. Coupled with the rich and full bodied resources and opportunities, the education I can obtain at Wharton in the field of Finance and Management will enable me to help create a stronger relationship between the business world and the society that it is driven by.

After looking through the immense possibilities offered through more than 18 concentrations found at Wharton, I found Finance to be the most interesting. At first you may think finance is a distant concept to the average American, only necessary in advanced computations of corporate dealing. Financial management is actually a very important skill to have that unfortunately not many have. Especially in today's complex markets, it is important to have your hard earned money working for you and not the other way around. Therefore using the knowledge I can obtain from the finance professors at Wharton, I can consult, not only the elite businesses and corporations in managing f their funds and investments, but also the average citizen or small business struggling to stay afloat. By instilling a better understanding of money in the population, I hope to build a stronger foundation for the economy from the local level to the global arena.

Another field of study that has greatly caught my attention is Entrepreneurial studies. Innovative creativity is the key to the advancement of industry. Channeling courses from both finance and entrepreneurial studies, I hope to create an avante - garde approach to how the population views and utilizes the financial services offered.

Apart from the challenging course offered at Wharton, the college's unique environment, population, and offered programs are also what have drawn me there. Located in a city environment and on a large campus there is never a shortage of things to see and do. Meeting new people from the diverse array of students from different economic and cultural backgrounds intrigues me. Using these opportunities, I look forward to exchanging ideas with my peers to develop a higher understanding of the world around me.

In addition, the closeness and passion of the Wharton professors greatly pleases me. It is important to have educators that are passionate about their field. I look forward for the opportunity in participating in one of Wharton's rich research programs offered to students. Being able to perform in depth analysis and on hands experimentation through the Wharton Research Scholars Program with a professor is a chance for me to challenge myself and my knowledge and concurrently broaden my knowledge base and horizons in the business world.

Furthermore, it is important not only to build your knowledgebase in a classroom environment but to go out into the real world and apply your knowledge. The complementing factor of research component at Wharton, are the assorted once-in-a-lifetime internships offered by company recruiters found on campus. Taking my experience and enthusiasm from the classroom to the work-place environment is the ideal to be striven for. But not only do the educational opportunities appeal to me at Wharton but the innumerable amount of social activities and organizations.

I believe that I was given knowledge in order to use it to give back to the community. Volunteering in one of Wharton's many clubs offers me an opportunity with great incentive to give back what I have gained. Participating in the Penn International Business Volunteers I hope to get a taste of what I hope to do in the future. Traveling to developing countries to help their ailing organizations is an opportunity for not only hand-on learning but also a chance for me to give back what Wharton has taught me. With my enthusiasm for learning and my desire to apply my experience not only to self improvement, but more importantly to overall improvement of society, I would be able to contribute much to Wharton's student life both academically and socially as I hope to uphold, and raise, the high standards of learning and giving back idealized by the Wharton professors and student body.

Therefore, I feel that Wharton will be able to provide me with not only a stellar education through its dynamic courses and programs, but a life experience that I will carry with me as I continue pursuing my interests. Using this valuable opportunity I would use my abilities and strive to become that ideal leader that Wharton aims to mold out of its students and advance and strengthen the ties of the college community and the global community through business and its core principles.

Penn offers its undergraduates an eminent faculty and a wealth of research opportunities. Use the space below to name a Penn professor with whom you would like to study or conduct research and explain why. (1000 Characters)

I would like to study with the renowned Professor of Finance, Richard J. Herring who is currently undergoing studies in the areas of international banking and finance and financial risk management. His studies are of great importance to the current global financial crisis. Herring's article, "International Financial Conglomerates: Implications for the Bank Insolvency Regime" addresses one of the key possible consequences of this economic crisis. Larger, more influential banks become a hassle - their enormity is related to their economic influence and possible failure spurs government intervention. Intervention may temporarily alleviate the bank's immediate problems but does not remove the source of the failure allowing for future problems to occur. The opportunity to conduct research with Professor Herring would give me valuable insight and understanding of the financial sector and its issues. If we are able to understand the shortcomings of our economy then together we can solve them.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good afternoon.

First, a few mechanical concerns.

Make sure you are only capitalizing proper nouns and the first words of sentences. For instance, "Entrepreneurial and Finance" should not be capitalized.

Also, avoid using the pronoun "you" in formal academic writing, as it is inappropriate. Try using "me," "I," or "one" instead.

I think the content of the first response answers the prompt effectively. You discuss at length each point in the prompt with well organized, descriptive paragraphs that flow together nicely.

In regards to the second essay, note the same mechanical suggestions as above. In regards to content, you again articulate clearly who you would like to study with and why. This piece is also well organized and the sentences flow together nicely. Good work.

Home / Undergraduate / University of Pennsylvania: most interest you / favorite Penn professor