University of Texas Statement of Purpose - "my career in the halls"

andrew4038 2 / 2  
( Here is my essay)

The feeling I get behind the lens of a camera is unfathomable. When filming a movie I get this overwhelming sense of power that can lead to infinite possibilities. The love for this art came at a very young age and continuously grew stronger as I got older. With my astounding interest in film I know University of Texas would be the school to take my passion and mold it into a career.

My academic journey began my senior year in High School while attending San Jacinto College for dual enrolment in fall 2006. After High School I determined the best decision would be to continue my studies at San Jacinto College so I would grow academically and personally before I took the next step towards a University. Though my heart was in Austin my time spent at San Jacinto has been incredible. The many professors that put forth their extra time and effort allowed me to become a better student and gave me the drive to someday call myself a Longhorn. It also allowed me to give back to my community which in my heart made me a better person. The experiences I have had prepared me to become a University of Texas student so I may some day change the world of film.

With my interest in film I feel that the Undergraduate Program will better prepare me to take the next step towards the Communications Program. With the help of the advisors and my drive to succeed I will be academically stronger to achieve my goal. I received my associate's degree from San Jacinto College in summer 2009 and was offered an internship with Univision Television Group for the fall semester. Throughout my internship I exceeded expectations and was offered a permanent job in my career field. Though it is unfortunate that I could not apply directly to the Communications Program I would like to use this opportunity to expand my knowledge and enjoy the Longhorn experience this spring.

The University of Texas to me is not just a school, but an opportunity to accomplish my life goals in order to start my future. Not only can this school give me an education but a handful of memories and friends to hold on to forever. I aspire to one day become a big name in the film industry and I know that the knowledge I take away from this experience will lead me in the path of success. I hope to become a Hollywood director and motivate kids like myself to follow there heart no matter what the outcome may be. The love and passion that I have for my education makes this University a place I want to call home. I look forward to building my career in the halls of University of Texas.
vickaay 3 / 6  
Your essay altogether is well-written, but I would try to add more about how you became interested in film (an experience, maybe?)
Also, I would try to change the "I hope to become a Hollywood director..big name in the film industry" because it sounds more like a way to make money that your true interest in film, or why you want to pursue it. But that might just be me. :) Good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / University of Texas Statement of Purpose - "my career in the halls"