University of Toronto , One idea application

anandrajeev 1 / 1  
The journey of life takes us to many destinations some are pleasant surprises filled with
happy memories and joy while others not so much. In one of my other moments so to speak I
had fallen into a depression. In my struggle to get back on my feet many friends, family and
doctors helped me. But. one particular piece of advice acted as the final rope that saved me.
The person asked me what went wrong and if this entire world was a game how would you play
it if you could hit the restart button. He asked me what kind of a person do I want to be.

While searching for an answer, this idea just popped up as a solution to all my
worries. Why not make a character who has all my strengths but with none of my weaknesses.
Thus, I was set on creating the ideal character. Initially, I jotted down the different elements of
this character creation. I identified two elements to focus on. His personality and appearance. I
believed one's personality is a mix of his morals, ideals, the result of his previous actions and
his goal. I decided to start off by identifying my strengths and weaknesses. I realised that my
strengths would be hard working, polite, visualization, focus and communication skills. My
weaknesses included a shortfall in emotional intelligence and a lack of goals. I knew these
weaknesses was the reason for my downfall.

I decided that my character would overcome all my weaknesses. This meant that I
would find a goal for myself. I started visualizing myself in different careers and positions. I was
overwhelmed by the possibilities and thus, decided to find different values that I care about.
Even though money was a priority for me, I believe that my life should not be wasted chasing
after it. I believed that my life should have a purpose that involves helping others. After
analyzing my strengths and what motivates me, I realised my forte and passion are in designing
solutions. I have always loved challenges and this combined with my fascination towards
buildings made me confirm that my future was in architecture. I decided my goal and my
character's goal would be to become the world's best architect. I decided we would be a kind,
polite and empathizing architect who could connect with his clients and bring their dreams into
the real world.

I believe a person's appearance is a gateway towards understanding the person.
Thus, for me, his appearance was very important. I was meticulous about the colour, I believe it
sets the tone for everything. I didn't want it to be bright and make him look like an attention
seeker. I wanted him to look warm and welcoming. Thus, I choose blue which represents
harmony, tranquility and reliability. It is said to lower heart rates and have a positive effect on
creativity. I choose white to be the second color as it represents peace and innocence. Even
though black is mainly associated with death and evil, I believed it was more elegant looking
intertwined with the blue. It also depicted the mystery of endless possibilities. I had no doubt
about the fact that a designed mix of blue, white and black would be visually appealing even
without the psychology behind it.

As for the get­up. I thought a winter outfit would be optimal. A self­ designed midnight
blue long coat seemed to suit him. But taking convenience into consideration, I added a few
more features. A removable lower half and hoodie. A red­brown leather boot and a blue linen
casual fit pant seemed elegant. An office bag would be a part of his life considering his
ambitions, Therefore I designed it as well. Hence, an outfit that suited his personality was
created.

After completion, I felt like life was brought back to me. Now, I have a goal that I strive
for. The character helped me come out of depression and gain insight into myself and my
abilities. I felt more confident about my creativity and skills. I, later on, got out of depression and
even completed a house design for a client. The client was my design teacher who requested a
modern cottage design for his newly bought house plot. I completed it and thus took my first
step towards my goal. I will make my dream of being an architect a reality. I would be grateful if
it was under your guidance and tender care. I wish to develop as an individual and as an
architect in the vibrant and excellent campus of the University of Toronto.
Hiddengrace 6 / 118 68  
Hmm. I'm just not sure what you're going for with this essay/ personal statement. It definitely is different and lacks the traditional elements of an SOP/ PS. I'm not quite sure how effective it is. Can you paste the prompt so that we can help you better?

Home / Undergraduate / University of Toronto , One idea application