"The Unlikely Candidate": Give background; collegiate ambitions; why this college

lele21078 1 / 1  
The Unlikely Candidate

I've been labeled "the unlikely candidate" most of my life. A young lady that inherited every adversity ever imagined. I've faced the challenging obstacle of growing up with a drug addicted mother, no father, and becoming a teen parent. Failure and poverty were synonymous with my family and I was determined to change my circumstances and that of the next generation. I had to assess my life and make plans for a successful future. That journey began with obtaining my GED and completing a basic computer course. Those rewarding achievements opened the door to "hope" and gave me the encouragement I needed to further my education.

My hard work has proven successful during my tenure as Legal Assistant with the City of Birmingham's Legal Department. I believe my skills, demeanor and abilities have allowed me to become an asset to the office over the past seven years. After I earn my bachelor's degree I plan to grow within the City's legal department as a paralegal.

In 2003, I completed the BLSA Legal Assistant course offered in your "Samford After Sundown" program. It was at that time that I discovered all the benefits that Samford University has to offer. The Adult Degree Program affords me the opportunity to continue to work during the day and complete my degree at night. The beautiful campus, stellar accreditations, strong christian values and integrity were all things that factored into my strong desire to become one of the University's alumni. If I am granted that opportunity, I will pursue my bachelor's degree with a concentration in paralegal studies. I believe that my focus, discipline and life experiences make me the ideal candidate for admission. Completing one of my greatest achievements at Samford University would be the ultimate reward. I ask that you consider me when making your final selections.
ershad193 14 / 333 5  
and that of the next generation.

"Next generation" is a very broad term. It would be better if you just say, "...and that of my child/children".

concentration in paralegal studies

I would elaborate a bit on paralegal studies.

Completing one of my greatest achievements at Samford University would be the ultimate reward

I didn't like this sentence. It just seems like banal flattery. You can definitely write a better sentence.

I ask that you consider me when making your final selections.

I don't know why, but I like this sentence a lot.

Good luck! Your essay was weirdly motivating.
Those rewarding achievements opened the door to "hope" and gave me the encouragement I needed to further my education.

Nice sentence, Lele!!

Capitalize Christian.

Is there a word limit, or can this be longer if you want to write more?

I would like it if you wrote one more paragraph to come back to that theme of being an unlikely candidate. :-)

When you respond to other people's essays, please write more than one sentence!!!!!

Home / Undergraduate / "The Unlikely Candidate": Give background; collegiate ambitions; why this college