"Very unusual and Japanese parents" - success- UC prompt 1

Stylek 1 / -  
Prompt #1: Describe the world you come from - for example, your family, community or school - and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.

Any comments or advice is greatly appreciated.

My parents are both very unusual and Japanese to say the least. My parent's way of teaching is quite different when compared to other parents, but one thing is for sure; My parent's knowledge and motivational drives have shaped me to the person I am today.

I have always enjoyed school because I have always loved to learn, but I have always had trouble with English. When I asked my mom for help on my English homework in middle school, she would simply laugh and say in Japanese, "I barely know how to speak English. Why are you asking me?" I cried and she responded, " You already have everything you need provided for you, if you truly want to learn". I was forced to create my own action. I was forced to seek help extra homework help from my teachers. I stopped depending on my parents for help and realized there is a whole world of help and information right in front of me. It just depended on how badly I wanted it, to find the right information.

Following my love of learning, I soon came across film making. My friends and I quickly shot and edited a short film. It was about two warriors in a kung fu battle. It was terrible, but I was so proud of my first film. We were showered with compliments as we showed our new masterpiece to our friends and friend's family. I was convinced I was a master film maker until I showed it to my parents. My parents were disgusted by it. They criticized how the camera was shaky, the sound was too loud and how it was a waste of time. I was completely crushed. Although, I quickly realized that they were totally right. My parents were honest with me. They told me what worked and what I needed to work on, allowing me to learn and grow as an artist, student and person. I was determined to be a better film maker.

Soon, I had stopped film making because my friends had moved on to skateboarding. I hated skating, but started to skate with my friends at school. My parents asked me why I had stopped film making for skateboarding, they knew how much I loved it. I answered, "because my friends like to skateboard". My parents were outraged. They grounded me and asked, " Why do you like film making? Think about it". I thought real hard. I love film making because I love to tell a story visually. I love starting with a bunch of raw video clips and puzzling them into something amazing. I love that people can enjoy my hard work. My parents taught me to find the true motives, meaning in what you do. I quickly ditched skating and back into film making following my passion with my new found meaning.

I can truly say that my parents have had the biggest influence and inspiration on my life. They challenge me and make me put serious thought into whatever I'm doing. My parents work effortlessly so I have the supplies and support to succeed. I've learned that hard work and action is the key to all success.
When you have a plural word and want to show possession, put the apostrophe after the s:
My parents' way of teaching are quite different when compared to other parents' ways, but one thing is for sure: My parents' knowledge and...

Although Yet, I quickly realized that they were totally right. My parents were honest with me. They told me what worked and what I needed to work on, allowing me to learn and grow as an artist, student and person.

Even though you were able to cope with your parents' harsh criticism, that does not mean all kids are. You might not be able to use this method with your own kids. Your parents probably were tough on you because they knew you were able to handle it, but if you were more sensitive maybe it would have been inappropriate. I think they must have been successful, because you are very impressive!

This reminds me of a story about a Hitchcock film that all his colleagues praised. The only critic was his wife, who said, "You are not going to send it out like that, are you?" She pointed out that one of the people in the film was obviously breathing, even though he was supposed to be dead. She was always Hitchcock's toughest critic.

Home / Undergraduate / "Very unusual and Japanese parents" - success- UC prompt 1