UPenn Supplement (academic programs!)

Ivy_91 8 / 18  
Hey Everybody!! Please feel free to be harsh about my essay!! This has to be good!

Describe the academic programs and unique characteristics of the University of Pennsylvania that most interest you. Why do these interests make you a good match for Penn?

UPenn. UPenn. UPenn. Whenever I mutter the name to myself, the sound that I hear is euphemistic, beautiful and soft, as if I could integrate the words into the lyrics of my music composition. To me, it's fascinating how the beautiful syllables of the word "UPenn" truly reflect the characteristics of the University of Pennsylvania. Look at the truly "beautiful" academic programs of Penn. They attract the top students from around the world every year. Look at the truly "beautiful" University of Pennsylvania campus. From The Green to the Statue of Benjamin Franklin, the university's campus is also a major attraction.

My life has been full of challenges. From first place in piano competitions to overcoming food poisoning from a trip to Kenya, many things in my life have once been challenges, until they became a habit. Even the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program that I do at my high school was once very challenging to me, until I adapted to the rigors of the program. Penn's renowned rigorous and "beautiful" academic programs should come to me as nothing close to a challenge, because my life has been full of them, almost as if they are my hobby.

One aspect of the University of Pennsylvania's academic programs that intrigues me the most is how they provide incoming freshmen a smooth transition from high school to college. The famous and comprehensive research facilities at Penn makes me feel as if I am just continuing my high school life because research was the epitome of my junior and senior year at high school. Moreover, because of Penn's academic flexibility and "interdisciplinary" education, freshmen are able to adjust quickly to college life with the General Education Curriculum that allows them to explore opportunities and their interests.

From being the chairman of my high school's yearbook committee to organist, accompanist of my high school's chamber orchestra, active community involvement has been the epitome of my high school life. Not only will extracurricular activities at Penn enrich my college life, but my participation in them will, without a doubt, make the Penn campus much more vibrant and dynamic. What moves me the most, however, about Penn is it's unique College House Music Program, which will enable me to sustain my love for music beyond high school.

The Philadelphia that surrounds the Penn Campus is also truly "beautiful", because it is very similar to my hometown, Hong Kong. Both cities have their glassy skyscrapers, famous first-class shopping arcades, and the bustling business districts. Because of this similarity, I strongly believe that I will start calling Philadelphia and Penn my home in no time. Moreover, I have been a Philadelphia 76ers fan for four years, yet I have never watched any of their live games. Philadelphia also seems to be the right destination for me because I will be able to satisfy my wish and go to Wachovia Center during the weekend to watch the games.
To me, it's fascinating how the beautiful syllables of the word "UPenn" truly reflect the characteristics of the University of Pennsylvania .

Even the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program that I do at my high school was once very challenging to me, until I adapted to the rigors of the program .

From being the chairman of my high school's yearbook committee to organist, accompanist of my high school's chamber orchestra, active community involvement has been the epitome of my high school life.

Philadelphia also seems to be the right destination for me because I will be able to satisfy my wish and go to Wachovia Center during the weekend to watch the games.

Home / Undergraduate / UPenn Supplement (academic programs!)