UPenn school of nursing supplement essay - Am I answering the question? Is this on the right track?

jennaz 2 / 5  
hi, its not done

How will you explore your intellectual and academic interests at the University of Pennsylvania? Please answer this question given the specific undergraduate school to which you are applying. (400-650 words)

"Being an adoptive child, I was exposed to a level of kindness and compassion from a very young age; without my parents, where would I be? And more importantly, who would I be? Not once do I forget the privilege they have granted me and the opportunities I've experienced because of their act of kindness. So with that, I want to take I learn from the next 4 years and reflect their kindness on others in need.

The criteria for the best university for me was very simple; an established nursing school, a greatly diverse community and a place where I can allow my visions to come true in an environment that challenges will challenge me. Believe or not, the schools which fit that criteria were very scarce.

Coming from a high school where artistry and science were equally encouraged, I strived to look for an institution in which creativity, compassion and intellectuality come hand in hand; this is exactly what the School of Nursing can offers. An institution that will not only offer me the technology and the academic influence to gain greater knowledge in healthcare and medicine, but also give me the platform to challenge myself intellectually and socially; a setting that will hopefully immerse myself in throughout the next four years. UPenn's interdisciplinary nature most definitely sets it apart of most schools, it demonstrates how intellectually capable my potential peers are and how well versed they are or want to be. Another aspect of UPenn, the School of Nursing specifically, that had drew me to their community is its innovation and willingness to be compassionate and creative- values I believe are very important. The Centre for Global Women's Health is an amazing example of compassionate innovation, it is an organization which not only provides healthcare for women and girls, but also advocates for equity and equality, and empowers women in the process. I want to work alongside these types of professors, faculty members and students in order to strengthen my own depth of knowledge and also contribute to theirs, and I can only find these types of characteristics at Penn.

Although my interest Biochemical sciences have been a very large drive into the medical field, my interest in human behaviour has expanded over the last couple years and even motivated me to lead a club just for psychology. Which leads me to the courses I'm most inclined towards: The 'Psychological and Social Diversity in Health and Fitness' and 'Nursing in the community' classes. Both courses focus on human behaviour in a culture or community. By bettering my understanding of how humans behave from different cultures and communities from a nursing standpoint, my actions will be more efficient in improving the lives of others. Aside from my genuine interest, these two courses also demonstrate that the School of Nursing offers a completely holistic approach towards nursing, tackling all aspects of what to expect in the students' future careers.

Aside from pure academia, I'm determined to broaden my experiences in politics and debate. I remember strolling on the effortlessly delightful Locust walk with my family when we suddenly came across a group of lively and passionate students safely protesting for Gun Control, carrying posters and wearing costumes that expressed their beliefs. I knew immediately that I needed to be there protesting with them too. I want to be up there with Jordan Dannenberg of the Women's political league, I want to advocate for a safer environment and promote equality and justice with the Penn Democrats in Penn's very own Political Coalition."
Naaaaancy 1 / 2  
Hi!
Although I barely know the academic aspect for UPenn School of nursing, I think you demonstrated pretty well.
Just a little confusion about one sentence in the 2nd paragraph: "in an environment that challenges will challenge me"
This point may be demonstrated more clearly in the following paragraphs, or you may make some adjustions.
OP jennaz 2 / 5  
Hi, I kind of tried to finish it and reword it

"I remember strolling down Locust walk with my family my first time visiting UPenn, we suddenly came across a group of lively and passionate students safely protesting for Gun Control, carrying posters and wearing costumes that expressed their beliefs. I knew immediately that I needed to be there protesting with them too. The desire to stand up with them and help promote awareness was anxious in my body and at that very moment I knew that at Penn, I felt like myself.

The criteria for the best university for me was very simple; an established nursing school, a greatly diverse community and a place where I can allow my visions to come true in an environment that challenges me. Believe or not, the schools which fit that criteria were very scarce.

Coming from a high school where artistry and science were equally encouraged, I strived to look for an institution in which creativity, compassion and innovation come hand in hand; this is exactly what the School of Nursing offers. An institution that will not only go above and beyond to fulfil my interest in human behaviours of the body, but also offer me the advanced technology and the academic influence to gain greater knowledge in healthcare and medicine, allowing me the platform to challenge myself intellectually and socially by my peers. This is the setting that will hopefully immerse myself in throughout the next four years. UPenn's interdisciplinary nature most definitely sets it apart of most schools, it demonstrates how intellectually capable my potential peers are and how well versed they are or want to be.

Another aspect of UPenn, the School of Nursing specifically, that had drew me to their community is its innovation and willingness to be compassionate and creative- values I believe are very important. The Centre for Global Women's Health is an amazing example of compassionate innovation, it is an organization which not only provides healthcare for women and girls, but also advocates for equity and equality, and empowers women in the process. Although politics won't be my academic focus, my experiences in MUN opened another door into an area of study or even exploration that would likely better the future and better myself intellectually as an adolescent. I want to be up there with Jordan Dannenberg of the Women's political league, I want to advocate for a safer environment and promote equality and justice with the Penn Democrats in Penn's very own Political Coalition.

Although my interest Biochemical sciences have been a very large drive into the medical field, my interest in human behaviour has expanded over the last couple years and even motivated me to lead a club just for psychology as well as study Psychology at a higher level. Which leads me to the courses I'm most inclined towards: The 'Psychological and Social Diversity in Health and Fitness' and 'Nursing in the community' classes. Both courses focus on human behaviour in a culture or community. By bettering my understanding of how humans behave from different cultures and communities from a nursing standpoint, my actions will be more efficient in improving the lives of others. Aside from my genuine interest, these two courses also demonstrate that the School of Nursing offers a completely holistic approach towards nursing, tackling all aspects of what to expect in the students' future careers.

Being an adoptive child, I was exposed to an abundance of compassion from a very young age; without my parents, where would I be? And more importantly, who would I be? Everyday I think of the privilege they have granted me and the opportunities I've experienced because of their act of kindness. So with that, I want to take I learn from the next 4 years and reflect their kindness on others in need. "
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello,

Upenn's school of nursing is grounded in training practical and compassionate nurses. I do not get a strong sense that nursing is really for you based upon this essay. You barely skim the surface by quickly mentioning Penn's interdisciplinary nature but fail to fully show that you have done some in depth research. I would strong suggest that you take a close look at the program and link various aspects to the future nurse you want to be. -selective admissions
OP jennaz 2 / 5  
Could you give me some idea of what I should write? Should I talk about my hospital experiences etc

Home / Undergraduate / UPenn school of nursing supplement essay - Am I answering the question? Is this on the right track?