USC Short Answer! ("to incorporate Hollywood into my studies")

Sombra 1 / 2  
2. Describe your academic interests and how you plan to pursue them at USC.

Growing up, adults implied that my intent to incorporate Hollywood into my studies was impractical, even frivolous. "It's just a hobby- she's not serious," my dad would assure concerned relatives. I, however, was never one to believe that academic pursuits and personal interests had to stay in their own separate spheres; bringing hobbies and non-"educational" aspects into the learning experience makes it more enjoyable. English has always been my favorite class; teachers have acknowledged my ability to effectively convey ideas and emotion through writing, as well as speaking. I've also had a fascination with communication, from how people interact to how messages are sent through various media such as television and advertising. I plan to to fuse all of these interests together by majoring in Communications, with a minor in Communication and the Entertainment Industry. At the Annenberg School for Communication, located in the media capital of the world, it's only fitting for me to combine my own communication skills with my love for entertainment into a curriculum that I will genuinely enjoy learning.
rachaeljennifer 2 / 4  
this is really good. just one thing, the last sentence;
it's only fitting for me to combine my own communication skills with my love for entertainment into a curriculum that I will genuinely enjoy learning.

shouldn't the end of that be, "... into a curriculum where i will genuinely enjoy learning." ??
EF_Constance - / 143  
I, however, was never one to believe that academic pursuits and personal interests had to stay in their own separate spheres; bringing hobbies and non-"educational" aspects into the learning experience makes it more enjoyable for me .

I've also had a fascination with communication, from how people interact to how messages are sent through various media, such as television and advertising. I plan to to fuse all of these interests together by majoring in communications , with a minor in communication and the entertainment industry .

I would use RachaelJennifer's suggestion:
OP Sombra 1 / 2  
Yes, I think your ideas make much better sense.

Thank you both so much! [=
This is great!!!

English has always been my favorite class; teachers have acknowledged my ability to effectively convey ideas and emotion through writing, as well as speaking. ...

At the Annenberg School for Communication, located in the media capital of the world, it's only fitting for me to combine my own communication skills with my love for entertainment in a curriculum that I will genuinely enjoy learning.

I think this essay is full of energy. Try to say something specific about the curriculum or resources offered there...
You could also fix the last sentence thusly: "it's only fitting for me to combine my own communication skills with my love for entertainment into a curriculum that I will genuinely enjoy studying ."
OP Sombra 1 / 2  
Your input is seriously just... ah! Amazing. Haha sorry I got here a little late; I added a line or two about the Norman Lear Center, which is on the USC campus and does research on entertainment's impact on the world. It's amazing; hopefully I get in so I can make frequent visits!

Again, thank you guys so much for your input!

Home / Undergraduate / USC Short Answer! ("to incorporate Hollywood into my studies")