USC short answer - "my sister played with Barbie"

priscileung 10 / 42  
Describe your academic interests and how you plan to pursue them at USC.

When my sister played with Barbie dolls and held tea parties, I sat on the same carpet playing with Lego. Lego fostered my fascination for building things, which led me to almost instantly fall in love with my design technology course.

Architecture certainly doesn't mimic middle or high school design technology classes, nor is it the same as Lego, but through it I will be able to pursue my fascination for building things in an academic context. I may not be the best at everything required of an architecture student, but the whole point of education is to learn, to develop and to expand your horizons.

In my opinion, you learn something new every day; small or big, useful or not. Whether it is learning how to cook without setting off the smoke alarm, learning how to spell onomatopoeia or simply coming across a strange fact about Brad Pitt, it's something you didn't know the day before. I strongly believe that the wealth of resources that will be available to me at USC can only cultivate my eagerness to learn. Through the 21 libraries with millions of books and other media or through the large variety of classes conducted by an enormous faculty, related to architecture or not; there will never be a dull day for me at USC. The wide array of courses available in the architecture department alone is astonishing, and I look forward to improving my design skills in ARCH 102, whilst also learning about how technology has impacted architecture in courses like ARCH207 Computer Applications in Architecture and ARCH 213 Building Structure and Seismic Design. The sheer breadth and diversity at USC is truly one of a kind, couple that with an infamous alumni network and, to me, the end result is the perfect environment for an eager learner like me.

1. Do you think I answer the prompt well enough? Do I need to be more specific? :S
2. Is it too long? It's supposed to be a short answer but they don't have a word limit or anything..I'm sitting at around 300 words right now.

Thanks! Any comments appreciated!
wongxy 14 / 53  
Don't use contractions. So change the didn't to did not, doesn't to does not.

whilst also learning

I get a feeling you're a bit too specific by even listing down the various courses. But on the bright side, heh you bothered to research! :)

Yup 300 words is fine.
OP priscileung 10 / 42  
i added those courses in just now (like 3 mins ago :P) 'cause i was hoping it would portray me in a brighter light - likes/cares about USC so much they even looked at specific courses in their program. but at the same time i kinda feel like i'm being too suck up-ish to the admissions people...

thanks :)
menamilad /  
it's long i guess you should take out the unimportant points out
good luck :)
Sorry for not getting to this sooner, but it looks pretty great!

Good luck.

:)

Home / Undergraduate / USC short answer - "my sister played with Barbie"